Blowing insulation into an exterior wall

Old 01-01-24, 02:16 PM
M
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Blowing insulation into an exterior wall

I have a related post about blowing insulation in my attic. I am renting the blower for cellulose insulation for that. I am currently renovating the kitchen. The house is built in 1950, double brick construction and probably no or little insulation in the walls. Is it worthwhile to make a hole at the top of each stud cavity in the kitchen to blow in what I can? I realize there is probably blocking, electrical or whatever and it won't fill it.

My father suggested ripping out all the drywall (or plaster) and insulating it before putting the kitchen back together. This project is already huge in scope and I really don't want to do that. I'm already running multiple new electrical circuits, running a new gas line, removing a wall, removing and replacing the flooring, etc.

The kitchen wall would only represent around 8% of my exterior walls.

Old 01-01-24, 02:24 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,920 Upvotes on 1,724 Posts
You typically want to drill at least 2 or 3 holes through the drywall in each stud bay if you are blowing the insulation. The air you are blowing in has to have somewhere to go.

Old 01-01-24, 02:46 PM
M
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Thanks. Is it only possible to blow the insulation down or can it also be blown up?

Old 01-01-24, 02:56 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,920 Upvotes on 1,724 Posts
Both.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: