Is this area worth taking the time to insulate?

Old 05-20-24, 09:52 AM
J
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Is this area worth taking the time to insulate?

Hello community! I have an area above my garage which is not really insulated. You can see the old insulation which the house flippers left up there. I currently have this space opened up as I needed to do some plumbing repairs, and thought I would look into insulating this.

I live in Austin, TX and it gets quite hot here. If you look at the pic of the interior of the space in question, youíll see the wall to the left of it. That is our master bedroom. I would say about 3/4 of our master bedroom is above the garage.

If this is a viable project, should I use basic rolls/batts or have someone spray it in?

In general I am looking to see if this would make any difference at all, in your opinion. Itís not a huge area to do. One other thing I am going to do to help out is insulate the back of the garage doors.

Thanks!

Last edited by JaredSD; 05-20-24 at 10:07 AM.
Old 05-20-24, 11:16 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,309 Upvotes on 2,054 Posts
You SHOULD insulate every wall or ceiling of conditioned spaces. So, the wall to your bedroom absolutely should be insulated. Walls for unconditioned spaces are up to you. You can insulate the garage ceiling if you want to help cut down on heat buildup in the garage during summer and keep it a bit warmer in winter.

Since garage doors are so large and have a extremely low R value any insulation you add to the doors will be a big help. Keep in mind that your springs and balancing mechanism are set for the door at it's current weight. Your insulation must be as lightweight as possible. Still, your door may need to be readjusted after you install the insulation.

Old 05-20-24, 07:24 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,138 Upvotes on 3,716 Posts
Your pictures are there but the board is not showing them. It should be corrected soon.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: