Ground Cover under a Magnolia Tree

Old 03-12-16, 03:57 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Ground Cover under a Magnolia Tree

I have a tall established Magnolia tree and want to make a landscaped circle underneath it. I was planning on having two concentric circles - the inside circle against the tree with a variety of coletus. The outside circle, I have no idea - I'd like some shorter ground cover, like maybe some hostas, but am afraid it may grow too tall. Under the tree is full shade. It sometimes gets some sun, but very little.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Carl

Old 03-12-16, 04:19 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
It may be difficult to get anything much to grow under a fully grown magnolia. The only thing growing under mine is shed dead magnolia leaves You'll need something that likes shade and little water, as not much gets through. Hostas will grow tall in time and could block whatever you plant close to the trunk. Others may have better advice, so hang in there.

Old 03-12-16, 06:23 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
I have three magnolias of varying ages and once they get any size nothing grows under them. I don't even have to do anything for weeds.

Old 03-13-16, 06:39 AM
Super Moderator
Received 391 Upvotes on 319 Posts
I also have an old, large Magnolia, and one problem is, they have surface growing roots, which is another reason you can't grow anything under it.

Old 03-22-16, 08:12 PM
Y
Received 24 Upvotes on 23 Posts
Periwinkle.....it might cover up mag flowers and leafs

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: