Trench Digging Route

Old 03-15-16, 06:50 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Trench Digging Route

Howdy,

The picture attached is the right side of my house (if you're looking at the front of the house). I want to dig a trench for my french drain and I would like the pipe to go down to the street. BUT...look at what's in the way. If I go left, I end up on my neighbors property. If I go right, I end up hitting comm. cables. Do I go under the comm. cables? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Old 03-15-16, 07:02 PM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
The line are marking the aprox location of the buried utilities. The power lines will be much deeper then the communication lines. You can dig over them but do not use any equipment. You must carefully hand dig around them.

Old 03-16-16, 03:40 AM
T
Thank you. That makes me feel so much better & def. gives me the confidence in doing this myself. Also, what do these lines mean?

Old 03-16-16, 05:28 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts

I must admit that I quite often see non standard or makings I don't really understand. Often a single line indicates that they know quite well where the line is. A pair or three lines either means there is a group of utilities taking up a wider path or their reading were ambiguous so they are marking the probable range for their location with the center line being most likely.

Sometimes the letters are the utilities initials. A letter and a number or just a number can indicate the width of what's buried. Seeing W36 can mean a 36" diameter water line. Here is a .pdf that explains it in more detail. In my area utility locating and marking is not a high paying job and the workers are not often highly trained or experienced so I occasionally see markings that leave me scratching my head. Once I saw a smiley face. I suppose that means "have fun digging".

Old 03-16-16, 09:58 AM
T
You guys are the bomb dot com. Thank you.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: