Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Lawns, Landscaping and Outdoor Decor
Reload this Page >

Lesco Dimension or Scotts Turf Builder Weed and Feed

Old 04-25-16, 11:15 AM
N
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts

In thinking ahead to my next step in another month or so, I'm debating using Lesco Dimension or Scotts Turf Builder Weed and Feed.

Does anyone have any experience using both and, if so, what did you prefer?

I like that Lesco combats Crabgrass, but I like that Scotts combats everything else...

I already used the Lesco as my first step.

Thank you.

Old 04-25-16, 05:35 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
I found a couple different Lesco Dimension formulations. If it contains Dithiopyr then it will control a few other weeds in addition to crabgrass but it is not as broad acting as the chemicals used in Scotts. But it is one of the best chemicals to control crabgrass.

The 2,4-D in Scotts is very effective on many weeds and is quite cheap when purchased on it's own. Scotts also packages it with MCPP which works well with 2,4-D on broadleaf weeds.

Keep in mind that Dimension primarily combats crabgrass before it has germinated while 2,4-D and MCPP control a multitude of broadleaf weeds after they have emerged. They are different chemicals for different jobs (apples and oranges). For a later season application I would pick the Turf Builder though I am not a fan of applying fertilizer late in spring.

Old 04-26-16, 07:36 AM
N
Thank you for your input.

Old 04-26-16, 02:45 PM
N
Quick follow-up; is there anything that combats both? Or some easy way to combine something that combats both? I wouldn't do the Lesco Dimension and Scotts Weed & Feed, as they both contain fertilizer, but I could add a Crabgrass or Weedkill-only product to either the Lesco Dimension or Scotts Weed and Feed. I see some options on Home Depot's website (such as Lesco Crabgrass Control or Scotts Halts Crabgrass Preventer) but neither get great reviews and neither are available (online or in store).

In short, what's the best way to combat both crabgrass and 'general' weeds?

Thanks again!

Old 04-26-16, 04:13 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
The key is to identify what weeds are a problem in your lawn. In many cases it's just a few species so a shotgun and trying to find a product that controls everything.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: