Procedure for laying stones?

Old 05-16-16, 04:31 AM
O
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Procedure for laying stones?

Hello and thanks for any help you can provide me.

I have two areas at the back of my home where I want to replace the grass up against the house with a triangle shaped patch of small stones to make it easier to cut the grass with my riding mower. Both areas are at interior corners where areas of the house stick out at 90 degrees.

My question is this. Right now there is grass there. I have the black mesh material to lay down prior to the stones. Do I need to dig up the grass or will that simply die off when covered?

Old 05-16-16, 05:13 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
I would dig down a few inches. This will allow you to have several inches of stone and be flush with the grass so there is less chance to catch the stones when mowing. It will also help keep the stones in place since they will be captured in the depression.

Old 05-16-16, 05:19 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 832 Upvotes on 729 Posts
Grass/weeds will eventually come thru the landscape cloth Removing the vegetation and the thicker the stone is laid the longer it will take to do so.

Old 05-16-16, 06:43 AM
C
Received 168 Upvotes on 136 Posts
I have a few areas where I have done this for more or less the same reason. I removed the sod to a depth of 2-3 inches like Pilot Dane suggests, put down weed block and filled in with small river rock. Weeds will eventually show up, either growing through the fabric or rooting in the organic matter that will eventually accumulate between the stones. Treating with extended control roundup a couple times a year works well to eliminate them. All in all it's easier than having to trim the areas with a string trimmer.

Old 05-16-16, 02:31 PM
O
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
"Treating with extended control roundup a couple times a year works well to eliminate them"

I have a dog and I have a well so that is not an option. Weed wacker it shall have to be.

Thanks to all three replies. Much appreciated

Old 05-16-16, 03:03 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 832 Upvotes on 729 Posts
I've used various weed/brush killers over the years and it was never an issue with my pets
How far/close is the well?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: