Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Lawns, Landscaping and Outdoor Decor
Reload this Page >

Weed & Feed vs. Fertilizer only + spray for weeds

Old 05-20-16, 08:26 AM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Is there any advantage/disadvantage (aside from time-saving) from using a Weed & Feed product (like Scotts Turf Builder Weed & Feed) vs. using a Fertilizer only product (like Milorganite) along with a weed spray that would attach to a hose (something like Weed B Gone or WBG w/ crabgrass control)?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-16, 08:38 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
I don't like getting in the overspray of a liquid like that so I stick to granules.

Old 05-20-16, 09:17 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 684 Votes on 631 Posts
I like using separates. Often fertilizer and herbicides are best applied at different times so all in one products can be a compromise.

As for overspray I find that there is little control over the edge of the spray with a broadcast spreader some some is always getting into the driveway and flower beds. It's a little easier with a push broadcast spreader but still the distance the granules are thrown depends on your speed and levelness of the ground. And, since I use a tow behind spreader it's mostly a educated guess as to where the granules are going. Pressure sprayers and those on the end of a garden hose I find offer better control as my hand is actually on the sprayer and seeing where it's going. But... hand held spray methods are fine for a small area but it's very difficult to maintain even coverage when doing a whole lawn.