Lawn grading tool

Old 06-21-16, 07:51 AM
Received 12 Votes on 9 Posts
Lawn grading tool

I saw graders for driveways, gravel and dirt.
But is there such a thing as grader for lawn?
Reason being, because of the fells called moles, my lawn is as bumpy as it gets and even flattened, mounds kill mower blades.
At about 4 acres of lawn to mow, it is rather hard to keep them in check, though to I do work on this, have traps set and already got one guy. I hope eventually I'll get them all but bumpiness will be there for a while.
Hence I am looking for something that can be pulled with good mower - mine is 1500 lb towing capacity - ON THE GRASS - to level it some.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-16, 07:54 AM
Let me correct my question. Not to re-grade. Simply level bumps WITHOUT dozing thatch.

Old 06-21-16, 08:55 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 674 Votes on 623 Posts
A lawn roller might be the only option. It will squish down the hills and tunnel humps without tearing up the existing grass.

Old 06-21-16, 09:00 AM
V
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
My Lawn Tractors aren't nearly as powerful as yours; but I recently dragged a heavy storm Sewer Grate (100 Lbs +/-) around on my lawn after I had a few truckloads (16) of soil spread, and wanted to smooth it out some . . . . just hooked it up with a Tow Chain and watched to make sure I covered every square foot of 2-3 acres a few times. Worked good.

More recently, I also used a set of power rake blades to smooth out the mole diggings.

Old 06-21-16, 08:04 PM
Power Rake is just a thatcher - and too narrow for my cause. It's 4 acres to level. At 20 inches will take me forever.
I saw those:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFiKf07jdz0

But have no idea how it will do on lawn.

Old 06-21-16, 08:25 PM
J
Received 78 Votes on 73 Posts
Unless you get rid of the moles or mole what goods it going to do to level it?
I roll it, or use my dethatcher then go back the next day to see where the new tunnels are and sick my dog on them, she lives to hunt moles and squirrels.
Want blades that last longer switch to G6 Gator blade made by Oregon, I went from 20 hours and the OEM blades are worn in half to 60 hours before they needed to be sharpened.
That Dr rake would just destroy your lawn.
https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...37900453891906

Old 06-22-16, 07:13 AM
W
Received 20 Votes on 19 Posts
Leveling

To level without destroying plant material requires some sort of roller. Perhaps a cultipacker, which is a heavy roller used in farming to level seedbeds after planting. This would most likely have to be furnished by a farmer who has one for hire.