Burnt Grass in Backyard - help Identifying

Old 07-06-16, 09:28 PM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Burnt Grass in Backyard - help Identifying

Well my neighbors were doing fireworks on the 4th of july even though it is illegal here.

So that was this last Monday night. This is Wednesday around 6pm and I noticed in my backyard a burnt blackish/brown looking spot in the backyard. 4-5 in diameter.

I should have taken a picture, but when I stepped on it, a black dust came out. I poured some water on it and it created this same dust. I decided to shovel it out and throw it away.

Any idea if this is from a firework? I didn't see any kind of firework debris in the backyard.

I will look when it's light out tomorrow if there are any more spots but from what I describe, can this start a brushfire in the hot sun? It seemed like whatever it was was not smoldering and it wasn't hot. Just want to make sure I don't have something out there that could start a brush fire.

Next year I'm calling the cops on them.

Old 07-06-16, 09:44 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Yeah, probably had been smoldering from a spark / fireworks.

Old 07-06-16, 09:50 PM
N
thanks - when you say smoldering could it be a fire danger if there are more around the yard? Or would it be dead by now?

Old 07-06-16, 09:51 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Um, since it's 2 days later I would say there is no danger of a fire. You said yourself it was not smoldering and not hot.

Old 07-06-16, 09:54 PM
N
ok cool. that puts me at ease

just was worried and mad at the neighbors.

Old 07-07-16, 04:39 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
Did the spot look and smell burned or does their appear to be a fungus or mushroom in the circle? Both can create a burnt looking circle and surprisingly the fungus is more likely to generate "smoke" (actually spores) when you pour water on it though pouring water on ashes can kick up some dust as well.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: