Filter for Irrigation System

Old 07-09-16, 11:10 AM
B
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Filter for Irrigation System

Half of our irrigation system has a sediment filter and half does not. We’ve been having problems with sand getting into the zone valves on the unfiltered portion of the system. A few sand grains lodge in the valve and prevent it from closing completely.

We have our own well. All of the water for inside use is filtered, but not the water that flows outside. Clearly, I need to install a sand/sediment filter on the unfiltered half of the irrigation system. The valve boxes are very full so I don’t think I can put in a sediment filter in an existing valve box. I’d either need to add another valve box outside or put the filter in the basement.

I’m looking for input on what is the best option (and why) and what kind of filter I should use. Thanks.

Old 07-09-16, 11:40 AM
C
Received 169 Upvotes on 137 Posts
I've had good experience with a Russco spin down sand separator. You could put it inside or out depending on which is easier. It has a filter screen and a drain valve. Every so often you open the drain valve to flush out the accumulated sand. I just hold a bucket under the drain and open it for a few seconds...water pressure flushes out the sand and cleans the screen. Perhaps once a year the screen can be removed for more thorough cleaning if needed.

If mounted outside, you would just drain it and leave it empty for the winter.

The screens are available in different mesh sizes. 100 mesh is a good compromise; it gets larger particles like sand, but doesn't plug up quickly with finer solids that might be in the water.

Old 07-09-16, 08:20 PM
B
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the pointer. I forgot to mention I never have a problem with the sprinkler heads clogging up. So I really only need to get rid of the larger sand grains. The smaller stuff goes through and doesn't cause a problem.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: