Reseeding my lawn and removing weeds

Old 07-13-16, 06:29 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Reseeding my lawn and removing weeds

I hope this is the right forum

Well, I finally decided to work on my yard after so many years of partial negligent. I do put some fertilizer and bug spray with occasional grass seeds that is on sale. I think last time i did it was few years ago.

So this year after watching weeds taking over my yards, i had enough. I need to put my feet down and do something about it. On the 1st week of July i put Scotts Weed and Feed after researching what kind of weeds i have. it s been few days so far with no rain and my lawn starts to look brownish already, it is working.

my next step is kill and prevent the crabgrass epidemic, I mean between Dandelion, clover and crabgrass i only have 10% grass left.

I am planing to put some grass seeds the 1st week of September, but is there anything i can use or apply to my lawn between now and September?
I cant use crabgrass preventer til next year in the spring (Feb. - Apr.)

I've been spending few hours after work pulling crabgrass from roots but would like to speed up the process to get ready for September.

Old 07-13-16, 06:55 PM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
Since your in NJ I recommend the johnathan green 4 step program. The scotts has too much nitrogen IMO...

JG halts works year round. I would do the 4 step where you seed in spring and fall..

When To Feed Your Lawn | Jonathan Green

Im a JG product user for 20 years now and overseed every fall..

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 07-14-16, 05:33 AM
G
Mike, thank you sir.

The 4 step looks promising, I've never heard of that brand of JG. I always shop at the pig stores next to me, Walmart, Homedepot or Lowes. Now i need to check out the local Garden center next to me. Fairfield Garden.

I like the simplicity of their circle of life Application wheel. pin it in my shed for future references.

You have nice home. I like the garden. I have something similar that i put 2 years ago but above ground. this year i didnt plant nothing as the weather was still cold til late may.

Old 07-14-16, 07:21 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
I've always heard that if your lawn is more than 50% weeds and undesired grasses, it's easiest to kill it all and start over.

Soil test is always a good idea as well.

Old 07-14-16, 01:21 PM
Super Moderator
also failed to mention put down lime every year. I use the John green calcite stuff.. One bag treats 5000 sq feet..

Old 07-14-16, 03:49 PM
G
@stickshift i was pulling some weeds and my lawn is a lot worst than i thought.
i am evaluating my option to either reseed or rent one of those machine that will pull the grass weeds all at one.

my yard isnt big, 0.11 acre but trying to pull every weeds in every squart foot is a lot of hard work. i dont mind the learning experience

so its time vs money, need to figure out how much it would cost me to rent an Aerator

Is this the correct tool am i suppose to look for?

Old 07-14-16, 03:59 PM
Super Moderator
I'd personally go with Scotts, but spread it thin.
Scotts is a high nitrogen product.. Requires oodles of watering for a green lawn.. Plus its 1/3 more in price.

Just read about high nitrogen ferts..

And a matter of fact I had chickens for some years.. With chickens I only used organics.. Such as corm gluten for the crab grass preventor etc...

I had even a better lawn then.. If you can afford the john green organics go for it...

Old 07-14-16, 04:04 PM
Super Moderator
This worked better at crab grass then any other product I had... 2 times a year...

Organic Weed Preventer plus Lawn Fertilizer 9-0-0 | Jonathan Green

Old 07-15-16, 04:45 AM
G
Tiller

That is the tool i am looking for. Stripping my yards clean is the best option plus i get to try new tool.

I'll be renting the unit the 1st week of August so i have few weeks to get the soil ready for new seed by Sep.

Photos will be uploaded as i go alone

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: