Sprinkler flow troubleshooting mystery

Old 07-23-16, 11:56 AM
D
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sprinkler flow troubleshooting mystery

Hello all - long time since posted as I bought a "new old" house from the 20s and basically has been worry-free for 2 years (vs my 2001-built house which falls apart constantly).

I have an irrigation system in the 20's house that has a sprinkler circuit that runs about 5 shrub heads on each side of the walkway. Two sprinklers on (what I assume) to be the end of the circuit have really low flow and dribble out. I disconnected the circuit behind the last poorly performing head (a full circle if that makes a difference). The flow seemed to be decent, but, interestingly enough, there was no change in the pressure or flow of the other shrub heads.

Two questions:
1 - How do I assess whether the flow out of the 1/2 inch pipe where it connects to the full circle head is sufficient? I don't see a pressure meter.

2 - is there some device that balances the pressure to keep the other heads pressurized, or does this suggest a different place where there's a leak?

Thanks!!!

Old 07-23-16, 01:59 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
To check flow I would take the sprinkler out of the last head that flows good. Turn on sprinkler and see how much water comes out and compare it to the one that doesn't flow good. Check for clogged filters in sprinkler heads. Before you try be sure the low flowing head is reinstalled.

Old 07-23-16, 07:25 PM
Y
Received 24 Upvotes on 23 Posts
It sounds like there is no electric valve involved...right ?

Why not hook up a short piece of hose to a riser and time one minute flow into a jug or bucket and figure out g.p.m. You can buy a $10 water pressure gauge with a female fitting and thread onto various risers and see what p.s.i. you have.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: