What to do with badly damaged lawn?

Old 07-30-16, 05:38 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What to do with badly damaged lawn?

New here sorry for the newborn question but I couldn't find exactly what I was looking for searching the forums.

I bought a house a year ago, it's a new home. I had been using Malorganite to fertilze the lawn. But then we had a water restriction in my area limiting us to two days a week for water. As a result my back yard which was tall fescue has died, I'm pretty sure I have to completely redo it. My question is on my front yard, all of a sudden I have tons of dead/burn spots. Tried to clear a little thatch and noticed the dead grass itself was coming up so I stopped. This front yard is wide blade fescue I believe ? But if was sod so the netting is there too. I also have a bulovard and tree in that bulovard that haven't been effected at all.

Question, what should i do lawn gurus? Leaving it and tossing seed down in fall seems like a good idea.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-16, 03:12 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 321 Votes on 285 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Often grass that has 'died' from lack of water will we grow when the moisture comes back. Reseeding in the fall is a good idea, maybe use a drought resistant grass seed. Pics would give us a better idea of what you are dealing with - http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Old 07-31-16, 03:23 AM
V
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
It sounds like your existing lawn just went dormant due to the drought; but overseeding is often a vehicle for introducing some new species which may prosper under your conditions . . . . I'm glad to hear that some parts of California can support conventional lawns. When I lived in Southern California, all I saw was Ice Plant.

Originally Posted by NewbDude
". . . I had been using Malorganite to fertilze the lawn . . ."
I think you mean Milorganitewhich is the trademark of a biosolids fertilizer produced by the Milwaukee Metropolitan Sewerage District. I'm originally from Milwaukee, and their Sewage System has been marketing the sanitized and dehydrated solids as fertilizer since 1926. In Grade School, we used to take Field Trips to both the Sanitation Facility and the Water Filtration Centers . . . . quite an operation !

And it has been a money maker for decades.