Growing grass in shallow soil over tree stump

Old 08-21-16, 06:05 AM
B
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Growing grass in shallow soil over tree stump

How do i bring the grass back/I have;huge tree stump. 8" inches below the grass level, Concrete 3 -Septic tanks; Old concrete well head, Every year it grows over really green---- then dies short time after, when the summer heat, hits those spots.No more grass til next year. Any idea on how to cure this problem? short off major back hoe surgery?thanks much for any tips bob s

Old 08-21-16, 06:08 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
It probably doesn't have enough soil to promote deep root growth. More watering might help but ideally you'd dig, remove debris and replace it with decent soil.

Old 08-21-16, 06:16 AM
T
Received 109 Upvotes on 97 Posts
As the tree rots, the process removes nitrogen from the soil. I suspect the nitrogen shortage is hurting your grass. Try a nitrogen rich fertilizer but you may be forced to remove the stump.

Last edited by Tony P.; 08-21-16 at 06:32 AM.
Old 08-21-16, 07:21 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
I suspect the ground gets hot and dry since it lacks depth. The grass is dormant, not dead. Water it daily until it comes back.

Old 08-21-16, 08:44 AM
B
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
The old well head is covered with 12" or more topsoil It being one of the worst.Its beed burned up gras sinc june in lower Mich. Now shes dumpin water on us every other day with thick heavy rainfall..Everythings green again, Gues i just gotta water each day as stated here . or live with it. The bad spots are at the 4 corners approx of my acre. can't win lots of hose maybe thank you for the contributions of help from you guys bob back to the--- dream criuse in Detroit.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: