Creating a stone patio?

Old 09-10-16, 03:34 AM
S
Received 6 Upvotes on 5 Posts
Creating a stone patio?

I tore out my garage door to a walk out basement, sealed it up and put in a walk thru door. When it rains, it splaches dirt unto the door sill and door and wall.

I purchased 2x6x10 (2) and one 2x6x8 treated boards and thought I would construct and form, dig down 8" and put in crushed stone. The area would be 4 foot out from the wall/door and 10' across. I will put 2" of stone down then the wooded form to hold the rest of the stone in place. There will be one 10 foot board down the middle.

I live in snow country and will be hand shoveling this area. Any ideas so I will not be shoveling stone out of the area?

OR, any ideas of what to use for this 4' x 10' area instead of using stone? It will help with keeping dirt out of the house as well.

Thank You.

Old 09-10-16, 04:32 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
Most 2"x lumber is not treated for ground contact. So, unless you special ordered the wood with a higher treatment level it will not have a long life buried in the ground.

You could use the lumber as a form (though I would use 2x4" instead) and pour concrete. After it's cured remove the wood and backfill around your new concrete stoop/patio.

You could install a paver patio. It will stop the mud splashing and is more attractive than plain concrete and doesn't require mixing a lot of concrete or bringing in a cement truck.

Old 09-10-16, 06:21 PM
S
Thanks for the ideas. I was thinking of putting the stone on both sides of the lumber, digging down 8" and filling 2" then putting the 2x6 form over the 2" deep stone, then filling the form with the stone.

Only bringing the stone to 2" from the top of the form 'outside' the lumber and filling the top 2" outside the form with dirt. I thought I may have to keep topping it off on the outside for a while till the dirt settles a bit. On the one edge out side the form, I can place 6-8" rocks along the edge.

No, the 2"x lumber is treated but not for ground. I like the paver idea but that would be time consuming. Also, I would need a place for the water to run. The stone would give the water time to seep into the ground and get it away from the lumber.

It's just me here and you folks are a blessing!

I thought that would be quick and easy for one person to do and keep the 2" lumber from rotting because of the stone would let the water run away from it.

P.S. It's crushed stone, about 1", and I have a pounder to help compact it. Some dust in with it. Don't believe it was washed.

Old 09-11-16, 04:40 AM
P
Group Moderator
How about putting in the stone without the wood.

Old 09-11-16, 04:55 AM
S
I think I will go with the paver idea. It's not that big an area, just have never worked with concrete before. Thank You.

Any idea how long it will take to use a concrete paver, 5 gal. bucket to mix the concrete in once I get the area leveled?

Old 09-11-16, 04:19 PM
P
Group Moderator
No, concrete pavers are not pouring concrete. They are pre-made concrete paving stones that you set to form a patio. You excavate the area. Install a compacted stone base. Then a layer of sand. Set the pavers and sweep sand into the joints to lock them in place.

Old 09-11-16, 08:58 PM
S
Oh, thought you were refering to something along this line: https://www.amazon.com/Quikrete-6921...ete+paver+form

I'm afraid the way you are talking, it may be too expensive for me.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: