Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Lawns, Landscaping and Outdoor Decor
Reload this Page >

I used to avoid high nitrogen fertilizer... but was I wrong?

Old 11-02-16, 02:18 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

YEARS ago (30+ years ago?), I was at a hardware store getting fertilizer and a guy there explained the 3 numbers for fertilizer as top, down, all around for what they were good for.

I left there thinking that those scotts turfbuilder and others with really high nitrogen and low / zero phosphorous and potassium were just window dressing - the nitrogen makes the grass green but not much else. With that thinking for all these years, I would opt for lower nitrogen fertilizer. thinking I want a healthy lawn / build the roots and keep out weeds. I've never been happy with how the lawn looks, despite fertilizing, liming, lots of water, etc.

I recently put down a bag of high nitogren feritlizer and it really greened up and 'looks' better. Is that just the window dressing or is high nitrogen good for the lawn overall?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-16, 04:26 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 620 Votes on 573 Posts
Farmers sometimes apply nothing but nitrogen so going high nitrogen is not so odd. The best way to tell what your lawn needs is to have a soil test performed. You can get the sample collection box from your local agricultural extension office. Take the sample and fill out the form and you'll get a report back saying exactly what you need. But in general turfgrass likes a higher nitrogen content. It's not producing a fruit or seed so you're mainly after green growth. Other nutrients are needed but that lush green growth is what most people consider desirable.

I did an experiment this year and used 10-10-10 on one area and 13-0-4 on another. The 13-0-4 looked slightly better. I think because I applied the same poundage per acre and the 13-0-4 had 30% more nitrogen. If I had corrected for the nitrogen and applied the same amount of nitrogen to both areas I think they would have been hard to tell apart.

Old 11-03-16, 06:15 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
You can apply too much nitrogen but it is essential so it's possible you've needed more than you applied all these years.