Lubricant for rotating sprinkler heads

Old 11-29-16, 12:56 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Lubricant for rotating sprinkler heads

I have rainbird R-50 Turf bird sprinklers. One got to where it would not retract. I have taken it apart and cleaned it out to where it appears to be working fine. Before I reinstall it, I want to know if the pop up shaft should be lubricated? If so, what lubricant should be used?

Old 11-29-16, 02:41 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
I have never heard of lubricating them, but if you need to, try pump lubricant. It won't wash away with water and does a pretty good job. You may only find it a pool supply houses.

Old 11-29-16, 02:51 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,154 Upvotes on 1,929 Posts
No, do not lubricate. If it no longer pops up and down like you can replace the whole thing for about $15.

I have never worked on that particular head but have seen problems appear with others. Sometimes the bushing is worn or the body is scored causing more friction. Sometimes I've even seen the plastic body get out of round and start pinching/binding the sprinkler so it can't move freely. Easiest is just to replace the whole assembly.

I use a square spade or old, long knife and cut a deep perimeter straight down through the sod about a 9" around the sprinkler. This leaves you a 18" wide circle or square of sod. Try to pull up the sod in one or two pieces leaving a good 4" of roots attached and set aside on some cardboard or tarp. Then use a hand trowel to carefully dig out the dirt from around the sprinkler and put the dirt in a bucket. Be careful not to knick or cut the tubing/pipe. Then just unscrew the old sprinkler and screw the new one in place. Replace the dirt packing it firmly and replace the sod. Water well and the work is almost invisible if you don't spill dirt on the yard.

Old 11-29-16, 03:32 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Nothing required, typ they get jammed due to grass growing into the heads, actually I've never repaired one, they usually get torn up with the weedwacker and are just replaced. Search eBay, can usually find cheap replacements!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: