Spray on grass vs spread on grass

Old 02-16-17, 06:01 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Spray on grass vs spread on grass

I live in Iowa. I've done some regrading around my house and now need to apply some grass seed over the dirt.

Does the spray on grass really work as good as they claim ?? Or do I need to stick with the old tried and true method of spreading the grass seed around my yard ??

Thanks,

Ron

Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-17, 06:26 AM
C
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Are you talking about professional hydroseeding? Or some consumer product? Hydroseeding works well and combines weed free mulch with appropriate seed, plus water. No straw or other mulch to rake up afterwards. I know there are some consumer type hydroseeding products; I'm not really familiar with them.

The old fashioned way works well too; it's just more work. And if you use straw as a mulch, it often has weed seeds in it, so you will get some weeds that have to be dealt with eventually.

Either way requires proper soil preparation or you waste time and money. No lawn applied to poor and/or unprepared soil will thrive.

Old 02-16-17, 06:31 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 319 Votes on 283 Posts
I've seen hydroseed grow on telephone poles .... just won't grow long. I don't know anything about diy hydroseeding. Hydroseed is quicker but traditional seeding is cheaper. As Paul said - the better you prepare the ground the better your results will be.

Old 02-16-17, 12:27 PM
Received 370 Votes on 345 Posts
There are places around here where you can rent equipment for DIY but unless you are doing a big area it would not be cost effective.

If you want a sure fire method they sell small bales of chopped straw with tack (glue). It's excellent for patching and could be used for larger areas but a little pricey.

A good layer of straw is excellent but you'll be getting a dose of weeds to deal with but still better than no mulch covering.