DIY Lawn Irrigation

Old 04-12-17, 08:31 AM
U
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
DIY Lawn Irrigation

My front yard is roughly 40x40, I have a spigot located very conveniently for the yard. I am going to have it seeded soon so I'm considering irrigation options, right now I don't think I can sink money in to a professional sprinkler install.

So, rather than use hoses/sprinklers I'm considering a DIY install, obviously I can buy sprinklers and pipe etc, my big concern (at least that I know about) is whether a regular spigot is sufficient to drive it. I understand the "proper" solution is a feed off the main, is that to get more pressure?

If I want to run 4-6 heads is it viable, for now, to run them off a spigot?

Old 04-12-17, 09:17 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,180 Upvotes on 1,950 Posts
You will need a pressure gauge you can screw onto the spigot to check your water pressure. Then you'll need a bucket of a known size like 5 gallons. Open the spigot all the way and see how long it takes to fill the bucket. From that you can calculate how many gallons per minute the faucet can provide.

Irrigation systems are usually tied into the water main line leading to the house. Because irrigation consumes so much water it needs to be connected to the largest/best source which is the main line.

Old 04-12-17, 10:03 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,982 Upvotes on 3,574 Posts
if you can't get to the main and are forced to use the spigot..... split the sprinklers into two zones and run one at a time.

Old 04-12-17, 11:56 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,267 Upvotes on 1,207 Posts
Depends on just what you want to do - your plan can work. I have a much bigger area and don't want to install the lines so I plan (someday) to install the sprinklers with quick connects so that I can just move the hose from sprinkler to sprinkler (got the idea watching Ask This Old House a while back).

Old 04-12-17, 03:11 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Some assumptions here, need to check to confirm!

Assuming your spigot is supplied via with a 1/2 line and are on city water your probably getting no more than 12 GPM at 50PSI.

With a 40 x 40 yard you will need 9 heads so that is only 1.5 GPM per head.

Most sprinkler heads run best at 3 GPM so you would need to split into two zones meaning your kind of making a complicated manual system assuming you want to keep the ability to get water for a hose out of this spigot.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: