Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Lawns, Landscaping and Outdoor Decor
Reload this Page >

5 year old Rainbird 5000 and don't some don't rotate. Replace? Or repair?

Old 05-01-17, 10:25 AM
B
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Is there any way to tune up / repair rainbird 5000 sprinkler heads that pop up but don't rotate? I can turn them by hand - no gear resistance if that matters. The stops are still there.

These are 5 year old and 3 of the 60 in our sprinkler system. Is that just part of maintenance to have to replace these every x years with x being 5 - 6? years?

And is there more to replace than unscrewing the outer ring and the center drops in? Or do I have to take out the entire thing / have to patch the lawn, etc.??

thanks!

Old 05-01-17, 11:24 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
I have cleaned then but they usually stick after a little while. Replacement is seems better.

Old 05-01-17, 12:03 PM
B
anything you found to help prolong life?

Old 05-01-17, 12:47 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I was in Florida at the time and had a lot of sand. I think it roughed up the surface and caused them to stick.

Old 05-01-17, 04:38 PM
B
Received 293 Upvotes on 260 Posts
I have seen the condition you described on HUNTER heads. It usually is caused by a leaking seal between the shell and sprinkler head. The reduced pressure is enough to affect the gear drive. The best solution is to replace the whole unit as the seal usually deteriorates each time the sprinkler head retracts and eventually will leak. Hope this helps.

Old 05-02-17, 06:25 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
The emitters are really inexpensive and mostly plastic. You can try cleaning or fixing them but for the $15 is easier and more reliable to replace them as needed. The #5000 are part of Rain Bird's "professional" series so you may have to get them from a professional irrigation installer if you want an exact model number replacement. You can also use emitters from their residential line which are commonly available online and at many retailers.

Old 05-02-17, 07:47 AM
B
thanks! would you replace the whole body or just the guts? Seems the sprinklers are supposed to make the lawn better looking. Me replacing the whole body will make the lawn look bad.

Which goes to another question - how high / low should these be in the ground? the top of the collars are at the dirt level (the adjustment surface of the head is at ground level - not high so lawnmower is hitting these).

replacing the guts a) makes me think dirt will fall in being so low and b) is there a tool to loosen / tighten collar? or just pipe wrench?

Old 05-02-17, 10:20 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
You could use a basin wrench. Will let you get down to nut head.
https://www.lowes.com/search?searchTerm=bsin+wrench

Old 05-02-17, 12:34 PM
P
Group Moderator
When possible I replace just the guts leaving the housing in place in the ground. The top just unscrews and the innards lift up and out. Of course if you are not careful grass or dirt can fall into the sprinkler housing. Trim the grass away first and use your fist or fingers to push the ground down around the sprinkler so it's up and clear. I also use a pitcher of water to pour over it before opening to make sure it's clean.

The sprinkler housings/bodies are plastic and have several times run into housings that had become warped so the sprinkler would not longer rise properly or it would not seal once up. In that case you need to replace the whole thing. It can be a bit messy but it doesn't make the lawn look bad. Lay out a tarp on the ground next to the sprinkler. With a shovel cut a patch of sod around the emitter. Peel/lift up the sod and lay it on the tarp. Dig down around the sprinkler putting the dirt in a bucket. Once you've gotten to the bottom of the assembly you can put a wrench on the supply fitting while you unscrew the sprinkler. Then install the new sprinkler. Pack the dirt back in the hole and replace the sod and in a week you'll never knew any work was done.

Old 05-02-17, 03:08 PM
B
thanks. Just don't know if I should be pissed / is there something I should have done to have 3 not fail.

And I'll be replacing but wonder if anyone has any timps / videos on opening these up. curious if I can see if a bug got in there / gear popped off or similar.

Old 05-02-17, 03:17 PM
B
Oh, I thought this was going to be easy?!

it says 5000 on it, it's 4" tall and it's adjustable (not a full circle).

But there's 3 different ones?

Rain Bird 5004-PC 4inch Adjustable Arc Rotor for Sprinkler & Irrigation Systems

or

Rain Bird 5004-PC-SAM 4 inch Adjustable Arc Rotor with Check Valve for Sprinkler & Irrigation Systems

or

Rain Bird 5004-PLPC - 4 inch 5004 PLUS Series Part Circle Adjustable Arc Rotor for Sprinkler & Irrigation Systems

SAM??
Partial arc partial circle?!

I don't care about water at the low end of run (so no SAM needed?)
The tops of these are black so I don't have the PLPC, right?

Do I want either of those? Sam or PLPC

Is this a good place to get them?

THANKS!

Old 05-02-17, 03:28 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Any of those would work. 1st one is the cheapest. That type just screw off you don't need wrench. Take one off and top will Screw off and you can clean them. Not hard but don't think they will work for more than a few weeks.

Old 05-02-17, 05:46 PM
B
clean them - I just get the 'guts out - the black tube surrounded by the spring, the screw on cap, etc.

Don't know how to get into it after that. not really to clean it, just see what's in there non-destructively if possble. So used to seeing the cut away in marketing materials. Just wanted to see if that's really all in there, etc.

Old 05-03-17, 05:32 AM
P
Group Moderator
How have your emitters failed? What are they doing or not doing?

Old 05-03-17, 06:59 AM
B
like the title and first post - they don't rotate.

pop up and spray fine though.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: