What should I use.

Old 05-15-17, 02:02 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
What should I use.

Hi
I bought this Burnt wood wishing well planter ..picture and this at the end.
I need to use some products on it to help maintain the finish and keep it look great and maintenance free for years to come.. Without color and preferably some kind of spray or sprays... Your suggestions are welcome please.

Thanks
sincerely Wendy

Stonegate Designs Fir Wood Wishing Well — Burnt Finish, Model# XL310 | Lawn Ornaments, Planters Fountains| Northern Tool + Equipment

Old 05-15-17, 02:23 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Welcome to the forums Wendy!

For totally clear you could use Thonpson's WaterSeal but it's short lived and may need reapplying twice a year. If you can handle a tint of color using a toner or translucent deck stain will last 1-3 yrs [dependent on brand and weather exposure]

Old 05-15-17, 02:42 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Deck stain would be my choice but I would add a little color knowing it would help the longevity of the product.

Old 05-15-17, 05:16 PM
W
If possible can you send me some links. for a toner and translucent deck stain. I was thinking of the water seal and a polyurathane spray together .. thoughts ?

Old 05-16-17, 03:24 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Polyurethane is rarely a good idea on the exterior. The UV rays are hard on it and once it goes bad it pretty much has to be either removed or sanded down to sound poly before you recoat. Deck stains do not need a sealer as they seal the wood along with adding some color. While these coatings can be sprayed with an airless, it still needs to be 'worked' into the wood with a brush or roller. Coatings in aerosol cans is drastically thinned so it will spray which makes it difficult to get enough on the substrate to give long lasting protection.

https://www.sherwin-williams.com/hom...nsparent-stain
https://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/...exterior-stain
Most paint stores will sell their own brand of this type of stain. As with most things, price is usually an indicator of quality.

Old 05-16-17, 09:06 AM
W
Use a water sealer also?

use this ARBORCOAT Clear Coat
Low Lustre (636) and a Thompson water sealer also/

Old 05-16-17, 09:13 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
No need to use the TWS if you are using a deck stain. Deck stains are formulated to repel moisture and do not need a top coat of any kind.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: