Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Lawns, Landscaping and Outdoor Decor
Reload this Page >

Squirrels digging holes in newly planted grass seed!!

Old 06-09-17, 11:47 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I've been noticing little holes and prints and stuff in the mulch of the EZ seed and today when I drove into the driveway noticed a squirrel in there! The area that he was in looks pretty good and has a lot of grass just starting to poke up, but I'm worried that they're gonna uproot the tiny sprouts.

Is there a good way to keep them off the grass seed area? Mesh netting? Will they hurt anything in the long run?

Old 06-09-17, 12:14 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Crushed red pepper flakes. Have to reapply after a rain or watering.

Old 06-09-17, 12:54 PM
B
Crushed red pepper flakes. Have to reapply after a rain or watering.
Seriously, the guy next door sprinkles black pepper to keep the dogs away!

Do you think the squirrels would do much damage though? So far the sprouts are looking good.

Old 06-09-17, 01:02 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
I use the pepper flakes in a flower pot my daughter uses for flowers. They have dug up more than one plant before I started applying it.

Old 06-09-17, 03:12 PM
B
What if I just add more straw and cover all the bare dirt areas?

Old 06-09-17, 03:28 PM
V
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Could it be Japanese Beetle Grubs that they're going after at this time of year in Maine ?

We have that problem in May and June when Raccoons, Skunks, Porcupines, and Possums rummage around in the lawn for those tasty morsels.

Last edited by Vermont; 06-09-17 at 03:30 PM. Reason: Added Porcupines
Old 06-09-17, 03:51 PM
B
[Could it be Japanese Beetle Grubs that they're going after at this time of year in Maine ?

We have that problem in May and June when Raccoons, Skunks, Porcupines, and Possums rummage around in the lawn for those tasty morsels.
Who knows. I did see one or two white grubs, when I was tilling. I just want to find a way to keep them off the new grass. I don't want them ruining the area. So far, it looks ok, but you never know. I might, at least go get some chicken wire and place it over the area with bricks or something holding each side down. Maybe that'll deter them from digging, who knows.

I know building a frame and then having the chicken wire mesh about 4 or 5 inches off the area would make it impossible for them to dig, but I don't have the time tonight to build it and buy the wood.

Old 03-30-18, 06:16 AM
G
I used bird netting for the first time and no squirrels yet digging for whatever they dig for in newly seeded area covered with a 1/8"-1/4" layer of compost. It does a fairly good job of keeping birds away, except for some small ones that peck around the edges. I already had two packages of 14' x 14' black bird netting. Spread it out and to the four corners secured it with bamboo skewers at a 45 degree angle pointing away from the covered area. I also put a couple along each side. In the center I raised it off the ground with some old rolled up thick plastic net like this
https://www.homedepot.com/p/BOEN-3-f...0003/303962630
cut to about 6" and placed on edge in a small circle to raise the 14x14 net off the ground. The birds won't land on it. I also use about 8" of this heavy duty hex plastic wound twice around base of tree trunks to protect from hitting with my lawnmower.

I also used these bird nettings, since I reseeded most of my lawn.
Anti Bird Netting Pond Green Net Protect Tree Crops Plant Fruit Garden Mesh
6.5' x 32' $3.98 - bright green - really stands out so you can see it, but also an eye sore
https://www.ebay.com/itm/252719573125

7' x 100' - hard to see unless viewing from a certain angle where light reflects off it
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Greenscap...tting/48236156
$12.99

100 bamboo skewers
https://www.walmart.com/ip/EG-BAMBOO-SKEWERS/104218345
88 cents

Now I just hope a deer or dog doesn't run across my yard and gets tangled. I should be able to remove them in a few weeks.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: