Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Lawns, Landscaping and Outdoor Decor
Reload this Page >

Building a mesh box to put over newly seeded grass?

Old 06-09-17, 01:05 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I'm thinking of making a wire mesh (or plastic) wooden frame box to put over my future grass path areas. I guess I could use some wood to make a shallow box type frame and then cover it in mesh?

Keep away birds and squirrels until the grass is more robust and allow water and sunlight through? Is this a good idea?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-17, 01:18 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
I could be way wrong on this, and I can find no confirmation on the Internet, but birds don't eat grass seed when it's properly done. What they do is go for newly tilled/worked soil and scarf on bugs and such. While doing that they scratch and disturb the soil, but not that huge a deal. I did a 1/4 acre of lawn back in VA without straw or anything else and it came out like a golf course.

Same with squirrels, they were looking for grubs and worms, not tiny grass seed.

I was told this by multiple sources before the information age took over. The idea that they eat the seed has just become the accepted truth.

Now, hand or broadcast seeding fields with stuff like millet and wheat, sure they'll eat those. Millet is found in most commercial bird food. But that isn't done in the US anymore AFAIK. Probably still done in 3rd world countries, where foresting birds and animals could be an issue.

All that said, if you build boxes, how do you intend to not have a "box line" where it rests on the soil? I guess if you used stakes as supports and placed it low to the ground it might be a viable deterrent, but I think it's a complicated solution to a very minimal problem.

Old 06-09-17, 01:52 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
All that said, if you build boxes, how do you intend to not have a "box line" where it rests on the soil? I guess if you used stakes as supports and placed it low to the ground it might be a viable deterrent, but I think it's a complicated solution to a very minimal problem.
I was thinking of something like they use for chickens. 4 pieces of wood put together like a square and then mesh nailed onto the top so the squirrel can't get to the ground to dig.

Old 06-09-17, 05:17 PM
Group Moderator
Received 209 Votes on 185 Posts
I have covered new grass seed with a old tarp. The sunlight shines through and if it is old, the water will too.