Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Lawns, Landscaping and Outdoor Decor
Reload this Page >

What's the difference between starter fertilizer and just plain fertilizer?

Old 06-12-17, 01:07 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I'm wondering if someone can tell me the difference between starter fertilizer and "regular" fertilizer. Would regular fertilizer "burn" new seedlings or something?

Also, are there chemicals in things like "Scott's fertilizer" other than nitrogen, phosphorus, etc?

Basically, I mean what's the difference between something like say Scott's fertilizer and organic fertilizer?

Old 06-12-17, 01:14 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 97 Votes on 85 Posts
Starter fertilizer is generally just nitrogen, no phosphorus or potassium.

Old 06-12-17, 01:28 PM
Group Moderator
Received 770 Votes on 711 Posts
Yes, the ratio of fertilizers in regular fertilizer can burn new seedlings. Warnings like that are usually printed right on the package.

Old 06-12-17, 04:35 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 742 Votes on 683 Posts
Look at the numbers for the fertilizer you are considering. I have normal and starter fertilizers with exactly the same nutrients. The only difference is the starter fertilizer has a very fine particle size where regular fertilizer has larger pellets. I assume the finer particles allow a more even distribution and less risk of a pellet of nitrogen sitting right next to a new sprout and burning it.

Old 06-15-17, 07:56 AM
Y
Received 12 Votes on 12 Posts
Lawn starter fertilizer is something like 0-10-10 so as not to burn newly sprouted seed and promote stem and root growth. 10-10-10 is used prior to laying down sod.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: