Help watering new seeded areas with garden hose

Old 06-13-17, 04:24 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Help watering new seeded areas with garden hose

Hi.

I seeded and put straw down on 2 small areas of my lawn. The biggest is about 9ft by 6 feet. The 9x6 is coming in really good as far as I can tell and the new seedlings are about almost 2 inches I think. It's been 13 days now since I planted and I've been watering everyday for maybe 3 times each with a garden hose, but I don't really know what I'm doing as far as how much to put down. I just use the "if I see puddling beginning stop" type rule.

I want think what I'm seeing is the P Ryegrass and I don't think the Kbluegrass is up yet, although some of it might be. It's Scott's EZ seed also.

So I'm using a garden hose with a multi sprayer for the time being. How long should I be watering to get a DEEP watering without creating puddles on top of the straw and EZ Seed mulch??

I usually am using the SHOWER setting on the hose, but maybe I should switch to MIST and water each area for 10 minutes or something?

Also, I've been watering sometimes at 8pm, which I guess I just read is a NO-NO! So, now I'm gonna stop watering at night. It's been in the 90's here in Southern Maine, but it's going to be going back into the 70's starting tomorrow.

Any help appreciated!

Old 06-13-17, 04:34 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
If the grass is already 2" tall you are well beyond the "putting down straw" stage.

Straw is intended to keep the seed moist for extended periods of time till it germinates.

Your good, just keep it moist for the next couple of weeks.

Also, I've been watering sometimes at 8pm, which I guess I just read is a NO-NO!
So what's wrong with watering at night? My sprinklers dont kick on till 2am!

Old 06-13-17, 04:43 PM
V
Upvotes: 0
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Fungus and/or mildew spores on cool wet grass.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: