Backyard Lawn Question

Old 06-18-17, 09:27 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Smile Backyard Lawn Question

Howdy,

Is there a type of grass that doesnt require to get sprayed for weeds?

Background story, the wife states that weed spray has been linked to leukemia in children. So I'm like, okay...sure, definitely dont want that around the kiddos. BUT...our background is in bad shape. I'll post a picture later, but to assist in describing it...there's spots that are bare and straight up dirt. The "grass" that grows, I'm not even certain they're grass. We're a military family so we're certain that we'll move maybe 2, 3 years from now. Our front yard gets sprayed 3 times a year and that was agreed upon since we "have to keep up w/ the Joneses" so our neighbors dont complain that our lawn is crampin' their style.

Any thoughts/advice is greatly appreciated.

Old 06-18-17, 12:27 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Grass and weeds are competing for the same real estate.

If the grass is thick and full that will help eliminate weeks but grass itself cant stop weeds from growing.

Old 06-18-17, 05:22 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
Mother Nature hates a vacuum and uniformity so the natural tendency is to variety. If you want a perfect lawn of only one type of grass with no weeds then you'll need chemicals, work and money.

Old 06-19-17, 08:32 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
I used to think it was a crock but I've seen it happen where a lawn was so thick and healthy that it crowded out the weeds. That said, the amount of water and fertilizer plus the effort to make it weed-free were tremendous.

There are safe weed killers, my daughter used to have fun spraying weeds with vinegar until she figured out she was doing work for me....

Old 07-10-17, 04:12 AM
T
Question

Last question...here in Arkansas, it's been in the high 80's; is it too hot to re-seed? I've been following the Lawn Care Nut on YouTube and I think I can do what he did with his Bermuda re-seed project (kill existing weeds/grass, re-seed etc).

But was wondering if it's too darn hot to do all this.

Old 07-10-17, 05:16 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
Yes, I would say it's too hot. You can do it and you will get some grass but you'll be expending a lot of effort for little results especially if you plant a cool season grass like Fescue. Best would be to wait until September and the temperatures have started to fall.

Old 07-10-17, 12:44 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Best to seed cool season grasses in the fall and warm season grasses in the spring.

Old 07-10-17, 05:54 PM
T
Roger that. Thank you all. Looks like it'll be a busy Sept for me.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: