Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Lawns, Landscaping and Outdoor Decor
Reload this Page >

Anyone using a WIFI irrigation controller for their lawn and garden?

Old 07-24-17, 07:10 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Am considering one from Rainbird and possibly one from Orbit. I know there are some startups also marketing them as well. What are you using and how do you like it?

Old 07-25-17, 04:29 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
My first question is why do you need or want a wifi irrigation controller? With whatever you choose a rain sensor is probably the most important option. Other than that you rarely need to change your irrigation settings so wifi may be of limited usefulness.

Old 09-09-17, 03:39 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I got the Rainbird ST8X -WiFi controller to try it out on my current home irrigation system, with the goal of moving it to my cabin if it worked well. I find that amy iPhone app works OK providing I'm on the same wi-fi system. However, when I'm away and I want to turn it on or change the schedule I often find that i get a "communication error" message. The other thing I've noticed is that, once it loses communication with my modern / router, it doesn't re-establish it (e.g.: in a power outage situation). To get it communicating again, I need to re-set it by using the communication button on the controller. I like the notifications I get when a zone program gets completed and I like the option of changing the programming from my phone. That said the controller's communication side is a bit finicky and I'm not sure if I'd pay the $ 250 (CDN) to buy another one.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: