Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Lawns, Landscaping and Outdoor Decor
Reload this Page >

Raised Planters Solution - trying to get creative

Old 08-20-17, 11:19 AM
X
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Hey all,

I need some help/advice for a stalled project =)

I have a slope in my backyard that is around 85ft wide and goes up around 60ft at a 30 degree angle. The soil is very poor, tried growing a hearty groundcover ( lantana) but had no luck getting it established as there was a water rationing issue.

Since I am working with a large area, to keep watering only to the plants, I thought to go with raised planters. This is where I need help. Can anyone suggest an affordable solution to make, buy or use something that is around 16" tall with a 16" round / square that can handle the hot weather of inland area of Southern California (near riverside).

to keep the costs down, I have considered making planter boxes using fence wood material, gluing 12 X 12 step stones with concrete adhesive. The planter will need to be bottomless so the plant's roots can grow into the existing soil. In searching, I've seen some people use terracotta/clay pipes. Those would be great however I have not been able to find anything locally, and it is very expensive to order online and have it delivered. One suggestion was to use chimney flue but that idea went nowhere, again, due to cost.

Given the size of area, it would need at least 75 planters so folks, please put on your thinking caps and provide any "outside the box (no pun intended =)) ideas or solutions.

thanks in advance for all your feedback.

Last edited by ray2047; 08-20-17 at 12:37 PM.
Old 08-21-17, 01:04 PM
Y
Received 24 Upvotes on 23 Posts
Reading your prior posts....slope is behind your retaining wall. What is below your slope ? Neighbor's fence, open space ? You should be able to post a photo now. Why do you want to do this ? For looks, or erosion control or........??

If you are looking for something to knit the soil together, consider ivy or day lily. Do you still have water rationing and do you have to wait for winter rains to do something ? What about used railroad ties you can hold in place with rebar ?

Old 08-24-17, 03:19 PM
X
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thank you for your reply.

Looking to do this, mainly for looks. There is a 4ft retainer wall at the bottom of the slope. Next to the retainer wall is my backyard that is cemented. I have thought to plant ivy but stopped for one main reason. The soil is terrible, after 2 mins of watering, the water just rolls, no longer. Railroad ties is a good suggestion, also thought about that but it is waaay too heavy for me to get it moved and work on it myself.

While driving recently, I saw another house with a slope in the backside of their house, drove metal pipes in the ground then put two 2 x 12 boards, stacked one on top of the other. Its something functional but I think i want to contain the water better by using something with four side, or a round container so to not get any runoffs.

Old 08-26-17, 09:04 AM
Y
Received 24 Upvotes on 23 Posts
About ivy.....you can get a battery powered controller for a hose bibb that leads to a rotating sprinkler on a stand. Set it for 5 min on every hour and see what's what.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: