Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Lawns, Landscaping and Outdoor Decor
Reload this Page >

Clover area with little grass growing on front lawn

Old 08-23-17, 02:37 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Is it ok to just throw down some seed in this area and water it daily? Do you think I'd get some more grass growing there or should I pull up some of the clover and then put some topsoil and seed?

I think either way the clover may come back. It's not a BIG deal, but I like growing grass and just thought "Ah, what the heck maybe I can get the grass to take over?

Old 08-23-17, 02:44 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
I would probably kill the clover and grass with Roundup, wait 1 week, rake away the dead plants to expose as much soil as possible, then rake in your new grass seed, roll it or step it down flat with your feet and then water it in, keeping it moist and not letting it dry out for about 3-4 weeks or until your new grass has grown thick.

When clover is thick, it will smother and crowd out new grass seed, preventing it from taking over.

Old 08-23-17, 03:24 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
If the grass that's there desirable (Fescue vs crabgrass) then you can use a broadleaf herbicide. 2,4-D is very inexpensive and works on clover and won't harm most grasses. The first application will knock it down but it may come back and need a second treatment. Then give the ground a hard raking with a garden rake to break up the top layer of soil, over seed and keep the ground moist until the grass germinates. If you don't water regularly it won't hurt anything but the seed will take longer to germinate.

Old 08-23-17, 07:16 PM
B
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks guys, but I don't want to use any herbicides. I'm trying to stay completely organic. Maybe I can just let the clover stay it's only in small 4x4 areas times 2 areas in my front lawn.

Old 08-24-17, 04:48 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
If you don't want herbicides then just let Mother Nature do her thing. Clover often thrives where conditions aren't great for grass. If you want to try you can do the thorough raking and put out some grass seed. If the the soil conditions are right it will take and start to push out the clover.

Old 09-13-17, 03:12 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I am adding clover to my lawn on purpose. It makes (fixes) nitrogen, and in places where I have it established, weed simply cannot get started, because the grass and clover is so thick.

Old 09-14-17, 12:31 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
As stated, clover is a common additive for those trying to have organic lawns.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: