Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Lawns, Landscaping and Outdoor Decor
Reload this Page >

Grass turning brown near front edge of lawn near sidewalk

Old 09-30-17, 07:09 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Well first I want to thank everyone for all your help and advice this summer while I successfully seeded many bare areas of my lawn. It was a TON of work as I tilled, pulled weeds, etc, etc ALL summer almost every day, but I'm happy with the results. Yes, I still have weeds, but my lawn looks pretty nice and it's all organic, I don't use any chemicals! I did use Milorganite and just recently applied Lime a few times. My grass is growing very quickly, although as of yesterday the temps are finally beginning to drop to the 40's at night.

Anyways, I noticed right near the edge of the front of my lawn near the front sidewalk the grass is turning brown. Is this normal? It's maybe 4 inches wide and is along the edge, but not the entire edge.

Old 09-30-17, 07:20 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Probably from the heat of the sidewalk. It's likely drying out and it needs more water than you have been giving it.

Old 10-01-17, 06:26 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
As XSleeper mentioned heat can be an issue. If the grass comes back in the fall and does well in the spring and you only get the brown during the heat of the summer then that's a strong possibility. Also, sometimes the soil is not as deep next to a road, side walk or driveway especially if there is a stone base underneath. The grass can't sink it's roots very deep so it quickly dries out and suffers. And then a distant third possibility is salt or other other chemicals used in winter washed off the walk and contaminated the soil.

Old 10-04-17, 02:22 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Yeah, I've been watering it more with my hose and it seems to be coming back a little, but of course now fall is here and a lot of people's lawns are starting to yellow and brown and stuff. Mine is still 95% green and doing great! In a couple more weeks I'm going to add some more lime just for the heck of it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: