Beech Tree with sticky stuff all over the place

Old 10-04-17, 02:26 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Beech Tree with sticky stuff all over the place

Well, now since fall is here I've been noticing a lot of sticky stuff all over the Beech Tree that's right outside an adjacent to my side porch and the porch and the ground and all the leaves are sticky! I looked it up and read that it may be HONEYDEW that is a sugary substance excreted from the Aphid's while they feed on the tree.

I've also noticed a ton of bees also feeding on the honeydew I think. Also a few Ladybugs have been spotted in the area. Can anyone confirm this or have any experience with this? It seems to happen every year about this time.

Old 10-04-17, 03:36 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Yes... it is the aphids. It doesn't always happen every year and this year is very bad. Ladybugs are natures way to kill the aphids so don't kill them.

I have one monster oak tree, in particular, that got hit hard yet the other two monster oaks remain almost untouched.

Old 10-05-17, 06:05 AM
Y
Received 24 Upvotes on 23 Posts
There should be some ants in the area. See any ?

Old 10-05-17, 09:42 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Just to expound... ants can carry the aphids up the trunk into the leaves acting as a protector and feed on the honeydew.

One way to stop the ants from traveling up the tree is to wrap sticky tape tightly around the base of the trunk with the sticky side out.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: