My summer project this year, a patio fireplace.

Old 03-06-18, 04:30 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts

Pima II Fireplace Design

So, I want to pick up a concrete mixer. Something that has the capacity to handle a nominal load (what ever that amount would be).

Like most projects, will find something used but in good shape and good quality, use it, then re-sell.

What do I look for!

Old 03-06-18, 05:08 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,952 Upvotes on 3,545 Posts
My neighbor bought a kit from Harbor Freight. I put it together for him. Not bad. Mixes a single 80lb bag at a time.

Old 03-07-18, 05:32 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,154 Upvotes on 1,929 Posts
A concrete mixer is for mixing concrete a mortar mixer is for mixing mortar. They are different machines so make sure you pick the one you need. If you are buying a cheap/small homeowner sized concrete mixer it can be pressed into service mixing mortar though you may have to help it along by scraping the mortar off the sides of the tank when it's mixing.

Old 03-07-18, 08:55 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
pick the one you need

There is info I did not know, it would be used for both.

Concrete foundations/footers and mortar for the structure!

I dont want a cheap one, I want something that will perform without issues but it probably does not need to be $3K!

Old 03-07-18, 12:32 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,154 Upvotes on 1,929 Posts
I cement mixer is what most people think of. It has a big drum that rotates. Paddles or bars are attached to the inside of the drum and move with the drum. This works for concrete as it's more liquid. In a mortar mixer there are paddles that move inside a stationary drum. This allows the paddles to scrape the sticky mortar off the sides of the drum. If you try mixing mortar in a cement mixer it usually just sticks to the sides and goes round and round without mixing.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: