How do I get this lawn looking good?

Old 03-10-18, 01:59 PM
S
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
How do I get this lawn looking good?

Hi.

We just purchased our home in the Seattle area and I would love for the grass to be super green. Our back yard is fenced off and we have a dog. There seems to be all sorts of stuff going on with this grass. There is moss in there and some dead spots (or they appear to be dead), and I am sure the dog pee has done damage.

What type of fertilizer do I want to use and how often? How long should I keep the dog off of it so he doesn't absorb any of it? Any other tips to get this lawn looking healthy would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Attached Images  
Old 03-10-18, 02:13 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
There is moss in there
The presence of moss means your lawn is a lot of shade which means grass will not grow very well.

You can overseed with a shade grass but I suspect you will not get the results you are looking for!

Old 03-10-18, 02:19 PM
S
Is it worth investing in some shade grass or is more of a gimmick? Only time will tell on this lawn I suppose. I think we get a good amount of early sun. Since we are in Seattle I can tell you there is moss on literally everything from the roof of every home to all the rubber seals of our cars during the raining season.

Old 03-10-18, 02:28 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
You forgot to mention there is moss growing on sidewalks, retaining walls, Jersey barriers, people who walk too slow, sleeping dogs, etc. You basically live in a rainforest.

Because your climate area is quite specialized (IMO), you should seek the advice of nearby nurseries and/or landscapers. You could do quite a lot in that little private area...it doesn't have to be grass. Grass may be an option, but I don't think you'll ever get a lush green lawn like you can in other more sunny areas, without an inordinate amount of work.

Old 03-10-18, 08:53 PM
S
Yea, I forgot slow walking people = ). I'll hit up the local nurseries and see what they say. Our back lawn is about 3 times the size of whats in that pic. Personally I would be fine putting fake grass in there like some people do but my wife says no. I don't really have time to deal with this everyday. I wasted a lot of money trying to do that same thing in Chicago and finally realized it was never going to happen. I'll give up much quicker this time. thanks

Old 03-10-18, 09:30 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Stone, boulders, driftwood logs, pots, yard gnomes...lol....plenty of options. Fake grass is just....ehhhh. Even the expensive stuff. Embrace where you live..take a drive out to Snoqualmie and similar and see what natural (or man made natural) looks like.

Old 03-12-18, 07:20 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Dogs and good looking grass tend to be mutually exclusive items. Couple that with the moss and I'd say you shouldn't get your hopes too high. My first thought would be a soil test.

Old 03-12-18, 01:16 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Based off the photo, I would guess your lawn is so brown from this chilly winter and should green up with warmer temps. I'm in California, so can't give specific recommendations, but this looks like a good resource: lawn renovation ? Swansons Nursery - Seattle's Favorite Garden Store Since 1924

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: