Bugs under my grass

Old 05-15-18, 02:09 PM
C
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Bugs under my grass

Hi,

I am not sure if this should be in this thread or in the "pest control" thread...?

Today, as I was removing the moss in some areas of my grass and notice some kind of worm that was all curled up in circle.

Last august, the person responsible for maintaining/spraying my lawn told me they had detected "punaises" (not sure the English term for it) but I am told they are heteroptera. They did a treatment for those.

I don't know if what I saw today is the same bug that is back, or this is something different.

See attached pictures of the "moss" (where does that moss come from and why is it there?).

See the pictures of what was under: Both the worm as well as what seems like translucent yellow bubbles... larvae?

Any advice on what this is and what to do would be appreciated.

Thanks

Attached Images     
Old 05-16-18, 05:14 AM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
"punaises"
according to Google this is the term for the common stink bug. What you have is the generic term for a centipede. Don't know if they are harmful to grass or not.
May be PAbugman will see this and comment.

Old 05-16-18, 06:11 AM
V
Upvotes: 0
Reading your Thread Title, I immediately thought of "Chinch Bugs"; but what is described doesn't seem to match.

What did the grass look like before it was disrupted ?

Old 05-16-18, 07:47 AM
C
Worms in my grass/lawn

I probably should not have mentioned last year's problem since clearly what I now have is a worm issue (or not) and not a "bug" problem.

I just don't know which worm that is, and what damage it can do.

To answer the other question, if you look at the first picture, you can see that is some green moss mingled with the grass. I didn't lift/remove the healthy grass to see if there were similar worms under it. But the area was covered with moss, which I was able to easily "wipe out" with a swipe of the hand since it seems that this moss doesn't have any roots.

Here is another picture where you can see mostly moss. It is easily removed by simply lifting it and it all comes together like a sheet.

Attached Images  
Old 05-16-18, 07:54 AM
Super Moderator
Received 391 Upvotes on 319 Posts
So are you looking for help with your grass or wanting to know what kind of bugs you have?

Old 05-16-18, 08:29 AM
C
Well, I guess the first step is to identify the worm, so that the appropriate treatment can be applied. Once I know what I have (worm), I can call various vendors and see what treatment/product they offer to fix it.

But if you have any advice for the moss issue, I'm also definitely interested in understanding what is causing that.

Attached is a picture of my lawn. It doesn't look great here (I guess my lawn isn't photogenic) but overall, and once the fertilizer kicks in, my lawn will be quite nice, except for the part at the back (top of picture). For the past 10 years, each year, I plant more seeds to try and fill the patches, but inevitably nothing seems to grow on those patches. I suspect a lack of water (my lawn is inclined - higher at the back and lower toward the front) so that the water drains toward my house to the French drain, and does not drain toward the neighbor at back. Perhaps the cedars are also taking all the water away from the grass...?

2nd picture shows a biggest patch of moss (its all moss, but the picture isn't great and you could think it is grass).

Attached Images   
Old 05-16-18, 08:37 AM
V
Have you ever checked the soil's pH to see if it's too acidic or alkaline to support a lawn without chemical adjustment ?

I think moss thrives in acidic soil, which would be encouraged by those Cedars; but dong a soil test would help clarify what you've got before doing anything.

Old 05-16-18, 08:39 AM
C
I have not. I didn't know there was such a thing. Should I buy a test kit, or I take a soil sample and bring it to Home Depot..?

Old 05-16-18, 08:53 AM
V
If the Manager of the Garden Center appears knowledgeable (?) see what they have or if they can recommend a competent garden center.

Here in the States, the Dept of Agriculture supports an Extension system through local Universities who'll perform soil tests at a nominal fee (or for free) . . . . but I don't know what's available in your part of Canada. All you can do is ask around (before buying anything) to ascertain your options.

Old 05-16-18, 09:07 AM
C
Ok, I'm reading that home kit are generally regarded as unreliable; however, the local lawn center does offer tests for only 10$. I must bring 10 samples taken at approximately 10cm deep with a total of approx 1cup of soil and they will do the analysis.

I'll definitely do this.

Thanks for the advice. Now, about those worms...?

Old 05-16-18, 10:23 AM
V
Originally Posted by CanadianUser
". . . Now, about those worms...? . . ."
What I saw in your photos was one critter which looked like a Grub (the shorter white one) and a coiled Centipede of some kind (the longer darker one).

I'm not sure if those are the worms you're concerned about; but I'm not familiar with them to know what harm they might be doing right now.

The Grub doesn't look like a Japanese Beetle Grub (which I've dealt with using Milky Spore® and written about elsewhere on this Site) . . . . but that doesn't seem to be your current problem.

Whatever the problem, you shouldn't have to re-seed every year to have a decent lawn.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: