Question about RainBird ST8 controller

Old 06-14-18, 10:12 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question about RainBird ST8 controller

I am looking to upgrade my ancient sprinkler controller with a new wi-fi enabled one. I do not need tons of fancy features since we are pretty limited on when can we use sprinklers due to the water restrictions. Currently, I can only water on Wednesdays and Sundays.

My question is, does the RainBird ST8 controller offers an automatic skip of watering day if there is a rain in the forecast or it had rained a day before? I.e. if the system is set to go off on Wednesday, can the ST8 stop Wednesday's watering if it had rained on Tuesday or rain is expected on Thursday? That's pretty much only feature I really need in the new controller as it will save me from constantly going to the garage to manually turn the system on and off.

Old 06-14-18, 02:21 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 960 Votes on 882 Posts
There is a separate rain sensor module. The sensor goes outside and the receiver module gets mounted on the wall near the controller. The rain sensor module then prevents your sprinklers from turning on a certain time after rain is sensed. You can adjust the amount of rain that is needed to prevent the sprinklers from irrigating. It also has a cold weather feature to stop irrigation when it's too cold and you can manually select no irrigation for three days.

Old 06-15-18, 05:11 AM
D
Thanks Pilot Dane. So the ST8 does not connect to the weather service to get updates on the forecast even though it has a wi-fi? The skip function is still based on the rain sensor?

Old 06-15-18, 04:12 PM
P
Group Moderator
Personally I don't know why your choosing a fancy irrigation controller with wifi when you say you don't want something fancy or need a lot of features. Ever watch the news reports about web attacks using vulnerable web enabled devices like thermostats, door locks, cameras, refrigerators and irrigation timers.

Weather forecasts cover broad areas and don't accurately depict what's happening down to the micro level of your address. Ever see it rain 1/2 mile away while you get nothing? Only a sensor at your house can tell you what's happened at your house.

Old 06-15-18, 04:29 PM
Group Moderator
Received 985 Votes on 897 Posts
It likely has WiFi so that you can know what it is doing at any given time... or control it from anywhere on the planet. It doesn't have Wi-Fi so that it can lounge around surfing the internet.

Old 06-18-18, 07:23 AM
D
I want smart controller because right now I have no way of skipping just one watering day. My controller has on/off button so when it rains or is about to, I have to go to the garage, turn the system off and then day or two later remember to turn it back on. Also the rain sensor only acts if there is a rain at the time the program is about to run. If it is going to rain few hours later for the whole day, the system will run anyway.

Plus the feature I need is to skip watering day not delay it. Due to the water restrictions, I cannot postpone Wednesday's program till Thursday since unfortunately, we are allowed to run sprinklers only on selected days.

Old 06-18-18, 10:52 AM
P
Group Moderator
The rain sensor does not postpone irrigation. It stops irrigation from occuring. For example, if your controller is programmed to water on Wednesday and it rains on Tuesday the rain sensor will stop Wednesday's irrigation. The controller will not irrigate again until the following Wednesday comes around a week later. All is done automatically so there is nothing to turn back on.

The rain sensor has some fibrous discs inside that slowly absorb water when it rains. When these discs absorb water they swell triggering a switch that turns off the irrigation. How fast the discs dry out after a rain depends on temperature and humidity. So, after a rain if it's hot and low humidity the rain sensor will reset more quickly to allow irrigation to resume. If it's cool and humid after a rain the discs remain wet and swollen longer and inhibit irrigation for a longer period of time.

The rain sensor also allows you to set how much rain is needed to inhibit irrigation. You can set it so a light rain will not stop irrigation but a 1/2" soaker will stop irrigation. Again, once you set it once you don't need to do anything else. It remembers how you set it and it will continue to stop irrigation after rains of the size you specify the reset when it dries out.

Old 06-18-18, 03:53 PM
Group Moderator
Received 985 Votes on 897 Posts
If you don't need tons of fancy features, get a rainbird ESP series. Programmable for any day of the week and a rain sensor.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: