Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Lawns, Landscaping and Outdoor Decor
Reload this Page >

Running single irrigation line to tree in middle of lawn

Old 06-18-18, 05:19 PM
S
SBI
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

This may sound like a stupid question, but I have a brand new tree in the middle of the front lawn in a house that is not constantly occupied. I want to run a single irrigation line to that tree to make sure it survives.
I don't want to simply lay a garden hose on top of the lawn because it will leave a mark and also, the lawn is being cut on a regular basis. I want to run a drip line from a bib with a timer. How can I do it without damaging the lawn? How do I dig a channel in the lawn without leaving a lawn-less line between the tree and the bib?

Thanks.

Old 06-18-18, 09:02 PM
Y
Received 24 Upvotes on 23 Posts
How far is the run....50 feet or less ? Drip line can be two inches under soil, so you can use a square shovel to go down 2-3 inches and push the sod to the side. Use hoop staples to hold the line down, push sod back ....and tamp it back down with your flat shovel or your shoes. Water it in.

Old 06-19-18, 02:28 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
That is an awful lot of work for what could be accomplished by just giving it a good soaking on the days you are there.

Like anything planted after the first month the need for extra water will diminish and anything you install will not be needed.

A couple of hits with a 5 gallon bucket will do!

Old 06-19-18, 07:13 AM
S
SBI
Thank you both.

I like the 2nd option of course, less work
I am just clueless about landscaping and watering, etc, no idea what is needed and for how long. So just good soak when I'm there and then hoping for thunderstorms with rain (Greenville, SC) and that should do it?

BTW - it is probably 20-25 feet of lawn that needs to be dug, not more than that.

Old 06-19-18, 07:34 AM
B
Received 13 Upvotes on 9 Posts
I've had good luck putting a couple inches of mulch in a 3' circle around my maples, just keep the mulch a couple inches away from the tree itself. I've read it helps keep the soil moist.

Old 06-19-18, 09:15 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,154 Upvotes on 1,929 Posts
A freshly planted tree in Greenville, SC should only need supplemental watering until fall. By then the heat of summer will be over and the tree will have had several months to establish roots. After that I would leave the tree on it's own. I have some large trees in large planters and those are the only ones I bother with permanent irrigation.

Old 06-19-18, 06:38 PM
Y
What is your tree....shallow rooted or deep rooted ?

Old 06-20-18, 04:09 PM
S
SBI
Wish I knew. Wasn't there when it was done. Just bought the house, older tree died and HOA demanded that the sellers put new tree. I think it's a Japanese Maple, if there is even such a thing. It's tiny now.

Old 06-24-18, 06:49 AM
Y
You do need deep soakings to insure the tree roots go deep. Shallow irrigation will promote roots near the lawn surface....not good.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: