Irrigation system not coming on. Is this why?

Old 06-25-18, 11:52 AM
E
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Irrigation system not coming on. Is this why?

We had a big rain over the weekend. My neighbour's pool might be leaking and/or his irrigation system is leaking. So lots of water present or potentially present. He has noticed lots of water on his side of the fence and I have the same problem on my side (we are backing on to each other neighbours). He's troubleshooting things on his end and I went to check my sprinklers in that zone.

Turned on the system but nothing came on. Checked other zones and nothing. Went to check on the solenoids or whatever is in those buried green things we have and noticed the one in the back yard is half full of water.

I'm assuming one of two things: First, the rain sensor we have is pretty wet from the weekend rains and won't allow the system on or Two, all the water in that backyard pot is shorting out the system. The Third one I don't want to talk about!!

Anyway, I guess my question is will a valve box filled halfway with water shut down the system or is it the rain sensor? Thanks.

PS: System has been up and running this season so not working is a bit of a stumper.

Last edited by edee_em; 06-25-18 at 12:25 PM. Reason: Add info
Old 06-25-18, 12:53 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
One valve in a box full of water won't keep the system from coming on.

Does the display shows as operating ?
Usually the display shows "rain sensed" if that is engaged.
I would think if the system was shorted it wouldn't display anything.

Old 06-25-18, 02:26 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
Dump the rain sensor and see if it will come on.

Old 06-25-18, 02:59 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
In the ground valve boxes are often partially full of water. All the electrical connections are waterproof so the water does no harm.

Most rain sensors show on the display if they are preventing irrigation. And, as already stated you can look at your controller's display to see if it is irrigating or has a zone active. If the system has been working this season and you had rain this weekend I would say your rain sensor is stopping irrigation.

Old 06-26-18, 04:47 AM
E
Thanks for the replies! I have an older, 1980s vintage Rainbird ESP-6Si and, as asked, yes it is on. I did not see any indication on the controller that the rain sensor was tripped. Maybe due to age of unit.

Anyway, good news, the system is working again when I tried this morning. I imagine the rain sensor did its job.

However, a new problem developed. One of the sprinklers in a zone, guessing the last one in that series, has water pouring up from underground, at a pretty good clip. Actually I am quite surprised there is water coming out from the sprinklers (all sprinklers are spraying) given the flow of the leak. I'm guessing a loose connection below ground. Thoughts?

Old 06-26-18, 07:23 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
Connections do not come loose. You probably have a broken pipe or sprinkler.

Old 06-26-18, 03:07 PM
E
Correct. Riser broken at elbow. Replaced and spraying merrily.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: