Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Lawns, Landscaping and Outdoor Decor
Reload this Page >

Cut Wires on RainBird Rain Sensor - System Now Down

Cut Wires on RainBird Rain Sensor - System Now Down

Old 07-01-18, 11:02 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Cut Wires on RainBird Rain Sensor - System Now Down

Hey Folks -

I want to thank everyone in advance for lending me a hand on this one. So I am in the Tampa, FL area and have (HAD) a perfectly working lawn irrigation system. I installed a RainMachine Wifi Controller a few years ago and everything is (WAS) perfect. A few weeks ago, my wife decided to cut the 'UGLY' wires and the small device hanging from one of the gutters on our house. I did not know this but over the past 2 weeks my sprinkler system will simply not start. The controller comes on and shows the zones counting down but I have no water and no heads popping up. I found this out and yes, in fact, the old rain sensor which we never used, was in fact cut down. So I need to know how to bypass this rain sensor in order to get my system going again. When I peeled back the wiring from where the rain sensor was cut out, I see 4 wires. Red, White, Blue and Green. Is there a way of jumping any of these wires to bypass this rain sensor? We never used it but having it removed has killed the system and my lawn is dying. Looking for the simplest solution to resolve this.

Thanks so much,
Rick

Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-18, 04:56 PM
Group Moderator
Received 221 Votes on 195 Posts
Of the wiring diagrams I have seen on Google it appears two wires are for power and the other two are for the sensor, but most of those are for wireless sensors.

What model of controller and sensor do you have? Are you sure all 4 wires are used at the sensor? My sensor only uses two wires and just makes or breaks the common wire to the valves. This sounds like your issue, with the wires cut the common is open and no valves will work then.

You could try looking at the control box and see which wires go where to the valves/sensor. You could then just splice the wires from the common terminal on the controller and the common on the valves

Old 07-01-18, 06:34 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,181 Votes on 1,094 Posts
Mine also uses two wires and has a rain sensor bypass switch on the front of the controller.

Old 07-01-18, 07:26 PM
Y
Received 12 Votes on 12 Posts
While you are figuring out how to re-wire...you can reach down in the valve box and turn on a bleed screw to activate the sprinklers.....and then turn them off when you are done.