Protecting ground from snow plow

Old 07-29-18, 12:19 PM
I
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Protecting ground from snow plow

I live in the northeast and am thinking ahead into snow season and how I can do more to protect the ground from damage.

I have a L shaped drive with the tall part of the L running down a steep hill so when the plow guys come they push all the snow into my yard at the bottom of the "L" which tears up the lawn.

Is there anything I could put on the ground to prevent damage? My main worry is the TV/Internet cable runs along the bottom so I get worried they will dig it up.

Would putting some plywood down be an idea?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-18, 12:53 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,121 Votes on 1,041 Posts
I doubt plywood would be very effective. Can you post a picture or two of the area ?
How-to-insert-pictures

Old 07-29-18, 03:06 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 638 Votes on 588 Posts
Is it the snow itself causing the damage or is it the plowers getting off the driveway? I assume they push until they see the edge and then it's too late. You could increase the paved area so they have some place to push the snow while still remaining on pavement. You could string a rope through the air above the edge of the pavement so they plowers can see where the pavement ends.

Old 07-29-18, 03:32 PM
Group Moderator
Received 679 Votes on 628 Posts
Most people simply mark the pavement edges with a series of tall reflectors or orange sticks. You could create a curb where they pipe snow to force them to raise the blade up if they are scraping the yard. Otherwise you will have to pay for snow removal (dump truck) if you don't want snow on the lawn. It's got to go somewhere.

Old 07-29-18, 03:38 PM
Group Moderator
Marking the driveway is a must but we get too much snow here and that causes issues for the plow guys. I know firsthand as I get to fix all the driveway lights that get knocked over.

Most towns don't allow any snow to be pushed out into the street and pushing it on the neighbors property across the street is grounds for getting shot. We still do it. If you know your neighbors there isn't a problem.

Old 07-29-18, 04:53 PM
Received 234 Votes on 209 Posts
The only reasonable way is to use tall and beefy side markers such as 2 x 2 square post (they should be at least 5 feet high). But be prepared that they may knock them over as the snow piles up. I do this on my sidewalk, since it curves around my house and once the snow falls you cannot see the curvature of the walkway. I also paint the tops a red and white so they can be easily seen at night and day. Makes for an easy snow blower job. You might also inform your snow plow service that the damage occurring is starting to get extensive and expensive. My neighbor has a plow service and they in fact do tear up the grass that is not marked. But every spring they come by and fix it.

Old 07-29-18, 06:00 PM
Group Moderator
Received 211 Votes on 187 Posts
I plow my own driveway which is gravel. I have shoes on my plow that lifts the cutting edge off the ground about 1/2". I will leave a little snow behind as I plow if the snow is not sticky but that just leaves more of an ice buffer keeping the plow off the ground.

Since it sounds like you have a company plow your drive they likely do not run shoes on their plows because they are running on asphalt or concrete and want to get it as clean as possible. You could try just talking to them and express your concerns about tearing up the yard. They should be able to lift their plows when they are pileing the snow. You could even post signs to remind them. Otherwise you could just sacrifice that area of yard.

If you don't think this will help I would maybe try install some steel pipe runners for their blade to ride on beveling the leading edge.

Old 07-30-18, 03:12 AM
V
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I suffered from that same kind of problem for the first 10 or 12 years that I lived here , , , , and I went through 5 or 6 Plow People due to pricing and double billing problems; hitting buildings and trees; un-reliability; failure to clear a large enough area at the beginning of the season to absorb all of the accumulated snow at the end . . . . but gouging up my lawn,was really the biggest deal killer. Heavy snows on top of partially thawed turf often left me with muddy ruts that couldn't be fully corrected until the next summer.

My problem was solved with the acquisition of a SnowBlower and I do the SnowBlowing when it's convenient for me; without hitting any buildings, when the ground is frozen so that no scarring of the turf occurs and I can shoot the snow out 25 to 40 feet horizontally or build a vertical snowbank in some places that's over 12 feet tall.

I don't know how this will be addressed when I get into my 80s . . . . but I'm happy with the process for now and I'm not wasting any more of my remaining time fixing things that shouldn't have been damaged in the first place. Heated Hand Grips and Electric Starters and Snowmobile Mittens and Ski Goggles and High Traction Galoshes are recent innovations that makes this job quite tolerable, and saves me quite a bit of money . . . . and aggravation.

Something to think about.

Old 07-30-18, 02:23 PM
I
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for all the responses!

Unfortunately my job requires me to travel otherwise I would happily do all the snowblowing myself.

Here is a picture that hopefully helps illustrate this better. It is the area on the right where the fence posts are that I am looking to protect with the CATV cable. I originally had a fence there but every year I have to take it down so they have somewhere to put the snow and of course eventually the fence posts get knocked down.

I was thinking of buying some granite blocks or boulders at the bottom but worried they will eventually get pushed down.

Any ideas would be welcome!

Attached Images  
Old 07-30-18, 04:52 PM
Group Moderator
Unfortunately it looks like that is the best place to put the snow..... the least destructive. If you don't want the snow plowed there then you need to come up with an alternate location. We don't know your location or how much snow you get but I can see you have limited snow storage area.

Why is the cable a problem ? Is it just laying on the ground ?

Old 07-30-18, 05:27 PM
Received 234 Votes on 209 Posts
You need to talk to your plowing service and make it clear that this is a problem and what can they do to work around it? If they cannot accommodate you then find another plow service that can.
It seems to me you need a service with a small size plow that can maneuver around drive area and deposit the snow in a non destructive way. And it will most likely cost more.

Better solution: What Vermont suggest.
How about a neighbor with a snow thrower. Pay him or the kid a reasonable amount of money that will make it worth their while to make sure you're clear. Make it clear that the fence area and cable must be carefully circumnavigate.
If you're married, maybe you can teach the wife how to operate the snow thrower.