Re-sodding 500 sq ft in Florida

Old 09-01-18, 10:42 AM
P
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Re-sodding 500 sq ft in Florida

Lots of rain in Central Florida. Lawn is now 80% weed and 20% grass. I would like to re-sod 500 sq ft area. I have a few questions.

1. How many days after Roundup can I put down sod?

2. Most of my neighbors have St. Augustine. According to internet, St. Augustine needs 6-7 hours of sunlight. The area gets only 3-4 hours of sun. Any other kind you would recommend?

Thank you.

Old 09-01-18, 11:18 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Can't answer your second question as I don't know warm season grasses well enough but the typical process for killing what's there is to spray with Roundup, wait two weeks, spray anything still alive a second time and then plant two weeks after that.

What I do know about warm season grasses is you're nearing the end of your window for optimal growing, so should get on it quickly.

Finally, rain is good for lawns so your saying lots of rain lead to a bad lawn leads me to think there's something wrong with your environment or your care of the lawn. Would be a good idea to get a soil test,

Old 09-01-18, 12:25 PM
P
2 weeks! I had better get with herbicide application this afternoon.

You guessed right. The lawn was 50-50 weed grass and I applied weed killer. It killed weeds but weakened grass substantially. Apparently, daily rain helped weeds more than grass.

Old 09-01-18, 12:29 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Weeds are more hearty than grass and will always take over without intervention and effort on your part.

Old 09-02-18, 01:40 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
St. Augustine grows like weeds I checkered boarded A 3/4 acre lot with it and 3 months later it was all filled in. Kill your weeds and lay sod . St. Augustine grows fast so guard your flower beds with edging.

Old 09-21-18, 10:01 AM
P
Thank you all. I applied a general herbicide (glyphosphate), waited 1 week, and started with plugs instead of sods just because sods are too heavy for me. It's been 3 weeks and plugs are not interconnected yet. Definitely more work and costs more than sods, but I wouldn't survive re-sodding 500 sq ft.
Thank you.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: