Zoysia Grass Mowing Question (Fall/Winter)

Old 10-22-18, 11:33 AM
M
Received 27 Upvotes on 21 Posts
Zoysia Grass Mowing Question (Fall/Winter)

My newly planted Zoysia sod (planted in June) is starting to go dormant, but is still mostly green. It is currently about 3" long (maybe a little longer). but is growing very slowly lately. Is it okay to mow it one last time before winter, or will this be bad since the grass will possibly not recover from the mowing? Should I leave it alone? It has been my understanding that Zoysia should be left a little longer during the colder months to help insulate the roots. Not finding a whole lot of information online about fall/winter care.

Old 10-23-18, 05:55 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Admittedly not a warm season grass expert with my location but I thought Zoysia was supposed to be mowed a lot shorter than 3".

Old 10-23-18, 06:18 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Zoysia is a very tuff grass, it is almost impossible to kill. I've had it for 30 or more years. I mow it to about an inch or so for the winter with no ill effects. You could thatch it every 3 or 4 years. When it is dense, not much else will grow into it. It will brown off in the winter. It's a learning experience .
Sid

Old 10-23-18, 06:57 AM
Y
Received 24 Upvotes on 23 Posts
I think mowing to 1 - 1/2 inch would be good. BTW, is it Japonica or Matrella or ......?

Old 10-23-18, 12:22 PM
M
Received 27 Upvotes on 21 Posts
It's Meyers Zoysia and has a recommended height of between 0.75" and 3". I typically keep it around 2 to 2-1/2" (because it's easier on my mower and doesn't create as much clippings). I've had Zoysia for the past 10 years and love it. I'm not worried about killing it, I just want it to look its best. I'm starting with a clean slate and getting it established properly sets the stage for its health and appearance in the future. I simply forgot whether it was supposed to be left longer in the winter for insulation, and want to be sure it is okay to mow this late in the season without opening it up to disease.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: