Overseeding Question

Old 10-25-18, 06:42 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Overseeding Question

Looking for some advice here. I recently moved into a new house and the builder sodded the front yard but put down a straw mat with seeds on the side and back yards. I moved in at the beginning of October and the seed really did not come up at all. I would estimate less than 5%. So the first day of living there I put down 20lbs of tall fescue. Here in TN we usually have warm enough temperatures through the month of October for fescue to grow. Well the temperatures dropped pretty much within a week of me putting the new seed down. We are having around 60 degree days and 45 degree nights. I am getting some growth but pretty much only on the flat parts of my lawn. In the back I have a pretty get slope that isnt growing anything. Not sure if the seed go washed away or what.

I guess my question is, I don't want the slope eroding over the winter before I can put more seed down in the spring. Would it be a good idea to put some rye down on the slope for erosion purposes? I just dont want it to hinder any fescue seeding that I do in the spring.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-18, 08:59 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 636 Votes on 588 Posts
Anything you plant now will be hit or miss. Here in NC I'm getting highs in the mid 60's and lows in the 30-40's. With careful watering and some luck seed will germinate in the sunny areas but shaded spots are less likely. Even rye will be slow to germinate in these temperatures. I would try it and lightly water the area once or twice a day as needed to keep the top inch of soil damp. Unfortunately it seems we jumped right from summer into late fall without much transition and missed what is usually the best grass growing season.

Old 10-25-18, 11:04 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
yea thats what my thoughts were. I was expecting it to be warmer like it usually is.

Old 10-25-18, 07:06 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
I think a bag of annual rye would be worth the risk.