Crab grass in south Florida

Old 11-21-18, 03:09 PM
G
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Crab grass in south Florida

Hello,

I live in south Florida and have St. Augustine as my lawn grass.
Unfortunately crab grass made an appearance in the summer.
It is only in a few locations, so I prefer spot treatment rather than having a pro come
and spray the whole lawn.

What can you here recommend, I am new to this?
I don’t want to use Roundup and hope there are other, less bad,
chemicals that will do the job.

Will the crab grass survive the mild ‘winter’ in Florida?

Many thanks for any advice, Richard

Old 11-21-18, 06:55 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 742 Votes on 683 Posts
If you are south enough your winter will not kill crabgrass. And even if your winter were cold enough it's seeds will survive to come back next year so it will reappear next season.

If your winters are cold enough you can apply a pre-emergent herbicide in late winter. That will prevent the crabgrass from germinating and getting established. These herbicides don't affect plants that are already established so in a warmer climate it won't help.

You can use a product containing Dithiopyr like Dimension (it also works as a pre-emergent). It isn't available in a granular form so you have to spray it. It works best on young, tender plants that have less than five leaves so it might be too late to help. If you do try it make sure you read the product label and follow the directions.

With St. Augustine grass you need to make sure you read the product label for anything you apply. Many products that kill crabgrass can also kill St. Augustine.

Old 11-26-18, 04:49 AM
G
Hello Pilot,

thanks for your reply. I am currently in Europe, so will reply more once back home
in about a week.

Best regards, Richard

Old 12-11-18, 01:31 PM
G
Hello again Pilot,

sorry for the late response.
I treated the areas of my lawn with “Ortho Weed b gone plus crabgrass control” and it took a while to show an effect, plus it needed a second application but now the result is good. The-crabgrass is gone and slowly the St. Augustine grass is coming back.
The second application might hav been needed because I apply chemicals like these rather cautious and might not have sprayed enough the first time round.

Best regards, Richard

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: