Questions about wet / low spots in the lawn

Old 02-21-19, 01:40 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Questions about wet / low spots in the lawn

I have some low spots / areas on my lawn , a mostly flat yard.

With the ground frozen / wintertime, it's easy to see these low spots. Realisitically, these aren't very low. I envision some bags of dirt would raise them up / help with drainage.

Any recommendations on how to find these later on when the ground isn't frozen /we don't have the actual puddles?

I've thought about drawing circles around the pooling areas with lime? Is that harmful to the lawn under where I draw the cirlcles? I'm envisioning a white line like on a football fleid. Anything thinner and it'll wash away / soak in before I get to it in the spring?

Other than waiting for winter and water pooling on the frozen ground, is there a way to find these low spots? I kinda envision screeding the yard like a big concrete area with dirt and a long 2x4.

But we have an acre. crawling around on my knees seems to be inefficient. And again, these aren't large / deep low spots. In the middle of the summer, it's unnoticeable.

THANKS!.

Old 02-21-19, 04:54 PM
Received 427 Votes on 398 Posts
Just pound a stake in the center of the low spot!

Old 02-21-19, 07:05 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 749 Votes on 688 Posts
If you want to put down "lime" for marking I would use athletic field marker. It's just ground of rock and really can't hurt your lawn except by smothering which is really hard to do.

Old 02-22-19, 03:44 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 361 Votes on 318 Posts
How deep are the low spots? I don't think there would be an issue with filling them in while the ground is frozen especially if the fill isn't deep.

Old 02-22-19, 09:11 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
interesting! athletic marker?! Think that's at home depot / comparable price to limestone (another ground up type of rock ?

Old 02-22-19, 09:46 AM
Received 427 Votes on 398 Posts
If you want to mark it just get a can of yard marking spray paint in your choice of green, yellow or orange colors!

Old 02-22-19, 01:08 PM
A
Received 68 Votes on 62 Posts
I dealt with a similar area a couple years ago, maybe 50-70' across, and although the last place in the yard to dry up enough to mow the first time or two kept forgetting it once it did dry up, and a real minor grade so not sure if I would have pinpointed it if I had remembered, so set 4 small stakes around the edge, spring came and I dumped some dirt, leveled it out, and seeded it. All gone now. For smaller areas, maybe just toss a rock at the center and go from there in the spring.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: