Trees growing under newly constructed home

Old 02-25-19, 04:59 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Trees growing under newly constructed home

What is the fix? I purchased a brand new home a year and a half ago. This year, I have had to remove 15 palm trees in my back yard that began to sprout up. I am concerned that there may be more growing under my house and that my foundation might be at risk. I can't see any indicators but there are weeds growing in between my house and the concrete steps leading out to the back yard. Any suggestions?

Old 02-25-19, 05:07 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
Take a look. Do you see trees growing underneath your home? If so... remove them. As far as weeds they can be pulled by hand or sprayed with herbicide.

Old 02-25-19, 05:08 AM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
I don't know how palm trees propagate, but I have a golden locust that has roots that will pop up new sprouts as far away as 50 feet. They usually pop up between the grass and sidewalk. Constant cutting keeps it in check. If you keep cutting the new saplings, you should not have a problem.

Old 02-25-19, 08:50 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Where are you located? When I lived in central fla palms were pretty much only native to the swampy areas. The ones folks had planted in their yards took some work to keep them healthy.

What type of foundation do you have? slab? basement? crawlspace? Plants are less likely to grow where there is an absence of light.

Old 02-26-19, 04:38 AM
Group Moderator
Received 249 Upvotes on 201 Posts
If it's Florida, quite possible it's palmettos. They can be kind of like the southern version of crabgrass (not that we don't have crabgrass, too).

Old 03-04-19, 08:21 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I live in Southern California and have had to remove several Mexican Fan Palms from all over my yard. They grow like weeds. I have a slab foundation so I am unable to see or cut or trim the trees if they are in fact growing. It's a good point about lack of light but I do have new growth sprouting in between my house and concrete steps where there isn't any light. Ultimately, I'm concerned that I will have 5 bean stalks growing through my flooring in 5 years. I'm not convinced that this is something I should be worried about but seeing the weeds sprouting in between my house and steps mixed with the many palms I have had to remove does beg the question.

Old 03-04-19, 09:15 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
If it's outside there is light which is why weeds grow there even if it is only a crack between your house and steps. Trees will not grow underneath your house because it is truly dark. You do need to be concerned about roots however so it's a good idea to keep trees and large shrubbery away from your home.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: