Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Lawns, Landscaping and Outdoor Decor
Reload this Page >

Timing of grub treatment, fertilizer, patching lawn

Old 03-09-19, 08:54 AM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I have a bunch of different things going on in my yard and I'm trying to figure out the order I should do things in.

I live in Mass. and there is still over a foot of snow on the ground.

There are areas of the lawn that have grubs. I determined that last fall. One area has been very difficult to grow grass and I turned over all the soil and there were grubs everywhere. My plan was to apply some kind of grub killer this spring and then patch the areas with sod.

So...here are my questions:
1. I'm assuming I just treat the specific areas that have grubs, or is there any harm in just treating the whole lawn? How early in the season should I spread the grub control? Any product recommendations?

2. I read somewhere that I should wait a couple weeks before spreading any weed & feed fertilizer, is that right?

3. Are there any timing considerations with putting down sod? Do I have to wait for a period of time after both applications?

There are some other bare spots in my lawn that would benefit from overseeding, but I'll just wait until the fall to do that.

Any other considerations I should be thinking about?

THANK YOU in advance for sharing your knowledge!

Old 03-09-19, 12:03 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
1) no issue treating the entire yard, chances are if you have them in one area they are probably everywhere!

2) wait a couple weeks from what? weed and feed can be applied several times over the growing season, I used to apply 4X per year, now that lawn is established just 2X!

3) sod can go down any time, just need to water more in the hot summer vs spring/fall till it roots, same for overseeding!

Old 03-09-19, 02:15 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
Sometimes fertilizer and herbicides need to be applied at different times for optimal results. Weed and feed is a compromise for convenience. There are many brands and formulations of products so without knowing exactly what you are applying all I can say is follow the manufacturers directions.

If intending to sod or seed you need to look carefully at what herbicides you apply. Many products especially crabgrass preventers and other long term weed preventers chemically inhibit germination and/or growth and should not be applied if seeding or sodding. Again, it all depends on the products you are using. The manufacturers directions will tell you how long you need to wait after applying the herbicide before you can seed or sod.

Old 03-10-19, 08:18 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Never had them but I have read grub control works best in June.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: