Recommended type of mulch around shrubs?

Old 04-08-19, 06:59 AM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Recommended type of mulch around shrubs?

I have a couple other questions here about removing river rocks from an area I want to plant things and thoughts on landscaping fabric.

I'm getting ready to make my annual trips to home depot to get about 120 bags of the cedar? mulch = the stuff they sell on sale 5 bags for $10.

I'll put that down in the same areasy I've put the same stuff each year for the last 5+ years. Previous year's mulch has faded / started breaking down. (I'm using the painted black mulch).

JoeCaption in one of those other threads talked of pine bark mulch not breaking down... it is organic so I guess it does, but much slower than the 5 bag / $10 type?

So... What do you use? I don't get many weeds in the black painted mulch. And being mulch / dirt, I can pull them easily.

Going for the black painted ones - is that just their gimmick to get you to buy new ones each year 'cause they do fade?

Would something like this look better?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/2-cu-ft-...L-SR/202526086

Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-19, 07:11 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 620 Votes on 573 Posts
Almost everything fades. Mulch included. Even the non-dyed mulch will fade and lighten with time. The best I've found to not fade is the synthetic/rubber mulch. I have a test area with black nuggets and after 2 years it's still nice and dark. It's also very resistant to being blown or floated away.

Around here all the dyed mulch is made from old pallets and seems to hold it's color reasonably well, still it will be noticeably lighter by the end of the season. The natural, undyed mulches are what they describe like shredded, nuggets, pine all of which will lighten with age.

Old 04-08-19, 07:14 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 316 Votes on 280 Posts
What color mulch to use is strictly a personal decision although some colors might look better with some landscapes. I've always been partial to cyprus mulch although nothing wrong with using cedar. I don't care much for landscaping cloth as weeds will still get thru and they are harder to pull when they come thru the cloth. I like to lay newsprint down. It will slow the weed growth and it degrades into the soil so I'll redo it when I'm ready to remulch.