Earthway spreader help

Old 04-11-19, 07:01 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Earthway spreader help

I recently purchased a used earthway spreader. The home depot sticker is still on it but faded. Looks like its a 2005 C24P model. Well anyways a guy listed it for sale on my local market place and got it for $60(the home depot price reads $299 on the sticker).. This thing is huge. I could probaly put easily 2 bags of 50 lbs fertlizer in it. Its rides so smooth with the rubber/air wheels and padded handles. Its defiantly commercial grade. Well heres my problem, When i open the 3 holes only half way nothing comes out. Works fine when the holes are opened all the way but goes through way too much product too fast. I figured I maybe doing something wrong(Its my first time owning a earthway). The broadcast path is huge on this thing. I never measured it but I would guess it almost doubles my scotts home owner brand(plastic wheels). Do you think this one was meant for lawn fertilizer/grass seed?

Old 04-12-19, 04:42 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
Is the agitator arm inside the hopper spinning? Other than that everything comes down to what you are spreading. Some materials flow better than others. Fertilizers that have gotten wet or exposed to humid air can get sticky and form bridges over the outlet.

Old 04-12-19, 04:46 AM
B
Yes the arm is spining fine. Ive used both a fertilizer and grass seed. The fertlizer was what I tried first. It was a 10-10-10. The prils was kinda big so tried grass seed which is small and still wouldn't work on the half setting.

Old 04-12-19, 05:30 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
On my earthway spreader there is a gauge on the RH side that is connected to a cable which goes down to an adjustable plate inside the hopper which controls the size of the opening which regulates the amount of material that then hits the impeller!

You need to be able to adjust the flow depending on the material!

Old 04-12-19, 05:35 AM
B
The 3 holes are opening fine. I can close it all the way, open all the way and close it to half way. But half way the material barely falls out. This has got me confused.

Old 04-12-19, 08:36 AM
B
Received 293 Upvotes on 260 Posts
What do you mean by half way? The control lever is in the middle of its travel, the spreader opening is half the total area when full open or the spreader opening is half the total diameter when full open?.

Old 04-12-19, 08:40 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
It should adjust from full open to full close and anywhere in between depending on where the lever is set!

Old 04-12-19, 09:15 AM
B
The lever all the way back has the 3 holes in the bucket all the way open, All the way forward the 3 holes are closed. I am moving the lever around the middle which has the 3 holes half way open. But when I move nothing is coming out. I am doing the lever without using the other locking bolt Do I need to adjust it to the half way mark too? I figured it wouldnt matter since the lever is staying at the half way mark

Old 04-12-19, 10:10 AM
B
Received 293 Upvotes on 260 Posts
The 3 holes are located in the bucket to drop material at the same or near same distance from the center of the impellar. The design of the shutter, connected to the control lever, attempts to expose the holes equally and linearly with control lever movement. If the holes in your bucket are not open to near or full diameter when the control lever is in the mid position, the shutter has a poor design. You will have to adjust accordingly. If the fertilizer /seed isn'.t dropping when full diameter is exposed, it has too many lumps or the granules are too big for the hole diameter.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: