Heavy Moss Gross Growth On Roof

Old 04-15-19, 02:08 PM
S
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Heavy Moss Gross Growth On Roof

I recently had two very large black oaks removed which appears to have contributed to the heavy moss growth on the roof. Other houses do not have this issue so I believe it to be related to the trees which extended over my roof. I was easily able to remove them with a light movement of my finger but concerned a house will hurt the roof which is nearly 25 years old. I cannot reach the moss so I must use a hose and power washer if I want to remove the moss. Any concerns with this approach? I don't really mind leaving it up and dealing with it during roof replacement at some point if it is just visual.

Attached Images    
Old 04-15-19, 04:25 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
With the trees gone the sunlight and increased airflow will stunt or kill the moss. And, getting up on the roof and removing the moss won't improve or heal the roof. So, I don't think there is a great need to get up there and remove the moss other than cosmetics.

If you wish to help kill the moss dish soap or iron sulfate could be sprayed up there. The moss won't magically disappear but the treatment would severely weaken or kill it. Then Mother Nature and heavy rains might wash some of it down.

Old 04-15-19, 04:30 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Power washer has a good chance to do more harm than good on shingles!

Old 04-15-19, 07:20 PM
S
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I'll let Mother Nature do its thing for a bit and see. Thanks!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: