Irrigation valve?

Old 05-07-19, 09:17 AM
Z
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Irrigation valve?

Hi. The “valve” was leaking when I started my system. Never seen this type of setup on my other home. Wanted to get some info before I tried taking it apart. It looks like some sort of union coupling with a branch coming off the top.

Anyone know what’s going on within it that could cause a leak?

Name:  tap.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  24.2 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 05-07-19 at 09:39 AM. Reason: cropped/enlarged picture
Old 05-07-19, 09:41 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
That looks to be a self-piercing saddle connection or bolt-on tap. I've never used them on poly. I've always cut the pipe and installed a tee fitting. You could try tightening the bolts but it may not help. You may need to remove that tap and install a tee.

Old 05-07-19, 12:11 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
I agree, that doesn't look like a valve. I see no wires, solenoid or lever for it to be a valve.

When you replace that saddle fitting I assume you will be using barbed fittings. If you heat the end 2-3" of the black poly pipe with a heat gun or blow torch it makes inserting the barbed fittings MUCH easier.

Also, I don't see a hose clamp on the pipe to elbow fitting. When you redo that area consider installing hose clamps for extra security. For a home water system I normally use two clamps per connection but it's sorta common to use only one on irrigation systems. Make sure you buy all stainless steel clamps. Cheaper ones have a plain steel screw that will rust in time.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: